Crank sensor

ALINE GUY
  • 2011 JEEP PATRIOT
We recently replace the position crank sensor and now it acting up again. We are going thru a lot of oil and fuel and want to know what can cause us to keep having this problem. We also have a bad knock in the engine.
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 4:47 PM

STEVE W.
If you are using a lot of oil you may have internal engine issues. You will want to have a leak down test and a compression test done to see if you can find the problem. It could be simply carbon in the rings or bad valve seals. It may also be a result of the extra gas usage as that will wash the oil off the cylinders. With both of those you are not helping the converter so you should get that checked ASAP. When you replaced the sensor did you do a crank/cam relearn? What was the original crank sensor replaced for? Did you use an OEM replacement or? Some after market parts are not as good as the box they come in.
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 4:58 PM
ALINE GUY
We replaced it because it left us on the side of the highway so we had the Jeep towed to the shop and they ran a diagnostic test and it came back that the sensor was faulty. And it was relearn as it was it safety mode but I do not know if he used after market parts or OEM like the first time. The Jeep lacked power the RPMs would rev out to like 6000 RPM but the Jeep would not move. My husband check the oil and it was down a few liters so he put more in we took it for a drive and the check engine light came on so we carefully drove it back home before it stop working all together were we needed a tow truck.
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 5:05 PM
STEVE W.
OK, Does the engine run but the Jeep will not move or is sluggish when put in gear? From the description of it revving to 6K but no motion that isn't the engine, that is the typical failure mode of the CVT transmission in the Patriot.

It sounds like you need to have a scan done to see what the code(s) that turned on the light are first. That will give you a starting point.

I hope I am wrong on the transmission, but they are very failure prone.
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 5:43 PM
ALINE GUY
If the transmission is what is failing is that what would cause the sensor to fail as well?
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 5:53 PM
STEVE W.
It should not but, it could be just a coincidence also. I would get it scanned with a factory level scan tool and look at the codes as well as check the indicators for the transmission. You could be fortunate and have it be something simple.
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 9:43 PM
ALINE GUY
Ok thank you.
Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 AT 5:22 AM
ALINE GUY
Well you were right Steve. It the tranny thank you
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 5:11 PM
STEVE W.
Sorry to hear that. I doubt it would do any good but you might call Jeep corporate and see if they will help in some way, like reduced pricing or free labor. Sometimes if you badger them about the problem they will do a goodwill type repair.
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 AT 6:22 PM