Coolant temp sensor

TURNER5109
  • 2001 FORD MUSTANG
Hey, I'm trying to replace my coolant temp sensor but I can't find it. Everyone says it's on the front of the engine but nothing is there. A pic would be great!

Thanks,
Dave
Thursday, January 28th, 2016 AT 1:24 PM

Look on or near the thermostat housing which is at the end of the upper radiator hose. The coolant temperature sensor for the Engine Computer has two wires going to it. If you have a temperature gauge on the dash, you may also have a single-wire sensor for that.

If you still don't find it you'll have to list which engine you have so I can look up a picture. Be aware that other than on early '90s Fords, coolant temperature sensors have an extremely low failure rate. What are you trying to solve? It's much more common to have wiring problems.
Thursday, January 28th, 2016 AT 1:30 PM
TURNER5109
Thanks for the fast reply! The engine is a 3.8 liter. I've had several people look for it on the front of the engine with no luck. If you can find a pic that would be great!
Thursday, January 28th, 2016 AT 2:34 PM
TURNER5109
I think it the sensor because my gauge isn't working

Dave
Thursday, January 28th, 2016 AT 2:35 PM
It appears there is just one coolant temperature sensor, and it is an input to the instrument cluster. From there the data is transmitted to the Engine Computer. If the sensor or its wiring are defective, a diagnostic fault code would be set directing you to that circuit. It is much more likely the instrument cluster is defective. That is a computer module so it is very unreliable compared to when gauges were simple circuits.

The only component location drawing I can find doesn't show the coolant temperature sensor. It only shows a cylinder head temperature sensor. There was a reference to the front of the engine as you already know. Another section referenced that sensor being on a hose to the heater core.

This drawing is from Mitchell ProDemand.
Thursday, January 28th, 2016 AT 4:23 PM