Coolant flush and service change? What kind of coolant?

GLENEPOTTERJR
  • 2016 FORD F-150
You-Tubed changing the coolant with a full flush and only got about a gallon to drain into the catch bucket. Do I have to pull the drain plug from the engine block to make sure of a full purge? And if so, how to I get too it? Does all the sound trim underneath have to come off? I had to put the front end up on ramps to get my petite body underneath to get to the drain plug, but the drain plug would still be the low spot even if it's up less than a foot. Thanks, Chilton is not very forthcoming on how to get this done.
Saturday, August 10th, 2019 AT 10:09 AM

SCGRANTURISMO

That is only 1/3 of the coolant capacity of your vehicle. In the diagrams down below I have included the coolant and capacities for your vehicle as well as the instructions for flushing your cooling system from the vehicle manufacturer. Here is a guide to help you step by step with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-flush-and-refill-all-cars

Description Specification
Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated VC-3-B WSS-M97B44-D
Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted VC-3DIL-B WSS-M97B44-D2
Motorcraft Premium Cooling System Flush VC-1 ESR-M14P7-A

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Sunday, August 11th, 2019 AT 4:17 AM
DANNY L
Hello again.

To answer DAN5594; you wouldn't want to use white vinegar due to it being acidic. Any foreign debris or acidic compounds introduced into the system will not only ruin the radiator and hoses but will cause damage. Just do a cooling system flush with auto parts store products or just simple water flush. Hope this helps and thanks again for using 2CarPros.

Danny-
Friday, September 11th, 2020 AT 1:45 PM
DAN5594
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Is it okay to flush cooling system with white vinegar?
Friday, May 7th, 2021 AT 11:09 AM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

I would just use a cooling system flush and cleaner like the Prestone brand. I've attached a picture below and it's available at Walmart for $4.00 Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions about this or tips on how to flush the system. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
-1
AL514
Hello, no I would not do that. Just drain the system and replace the coolant with the recommended type of coolant. Make sure you mix the coolant with 50% water. Or you can buy premixed coolant.
DAN5594
My question was not answered.
CANDI SPRIGGS
  • 1997 FORD F-150
Just got truck from friend passing away. No antifreeze in radiator only cap is on reserve. I tried to drain from underneath spout but it broke off in closed position slid metal ring clap off of hose line but it won't budge now it's getting dark outside and it's going to freeze. I left cap off for expanding water to go to. Is there any thing else I can do to prevent freezing radiator and messing up engine? Would one of those mechanics dual stand up lamp bring out enough heat if I place it over it?
ASEMASTER6371
I would suggest changing the coolant so it has protection from freezing so you will not have to worry about this anymore. You can use a heat blanket to help keep it warm. The water will freeze at 20 degrees with volume.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-coolant-59420607

RUSTY CANDY COLLINS
  • 1997 FORD F-150
Okay so I drive down the road and my temperature gauge heats up to half way then it drops and then it spikes all the way up to hot and the oil light comes on. It build so much pressure that it shoots antifreeze through the coolant cap. When you shut it off and turn it back on it goes back to mid way but when you drive it a quarter mile it does it again. Use to if you left it on when it reads hot the temperature gauge would go back down within 30 sec. To normal but now it stays up and if you keep driving it. Now it shuts the cylinder down and it wont go above 20. We replaced the thermostat twice, change both ECT sensor and change the water pump.
Start by having your mechanic perform a chemical test at the radiator for a leaking cylinder head gasket. That will allow air to sneak into the cooling system, and that air will prevent the thermostat from opening, resulting in overheating.

Forget replacing sensors. They are only reporting the condition. Replacing them won't correct the cause of the problem.

When you have an engine-related problem, you need to say which engine you have. Some are known for leaking head gaskets. Some are known for other problems. Also look at how the radiator fan is run. Most are belt-driven, but it could also be electric. If yours is electric, be sure it is turning on.
HEAVNER
  • FORD F-150
I have a 1997 Ford F150 pickup truck, 4.6L engine with 70,000 miles. I am flushing the coolant and have 2 questions. Where are the block drain plugs on this truck? Haynes shows a picture of where they are located (about and inch about the oil pan) but I cannot find them. Is is necessary for me to drain coolant from these plugs or just drain the radiator? Also, Ford says to use an optimum coolant that does not have alcohol or methanol in it. What kind should I use? Thanks
BRUCE HUNT
Don't bother with the plugs on the engine. Just another point to leak later. You can pretty much flush the engine when you remove the thermostat and use a hose.

As for coolant to replace. The vehicle is now 10 years old and I use the Walmart coolant in my truck and have for years. Performs fine.
H-YP3R
You should be able to go to a ford dealership to purchase the correct coolant you need. The coolant bruce suggest "i'm assuming the green coolant" uses additives that can cause deteriation in the valleys in the engine. This coolant is fine but requires regular changing so the aditives in the coolant don't totaly brake down. I beleive ford uses the same thing but they have there own additives in it "sometimes a pill you can add to it"
H-YP3R
Also when your flushing I would make extra care to flush out your heater core. As this is where deposites end up most the time.
BOOTDOG
Hey bud, listen to bruce hunt, the cheap green coolant has never failed. All the other long life coolants i've seen have been nothing but problems. You'll never have problems with the original green coolant. 8)
+2

Sponsored links