Low oil pressure warning light illuminated

KILDAREJOHN
  • 2005 CITROEN C4

Engine Mechanical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

just done head gasket on 1.4 c4 and everything was fine for 3 days then car was towed back. The owner said that the "stop engine" light was on and a message saying "low oil pressure" The engine oil was changed along with a new oil filter when head gasket was done. Not leaking oil either, changed oil pressure switch but still the same. Only happens after 15-20 mins driving ie. When hot and only at idle or immediately after rev. Only 80,000 km on car.
Whats going on?

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 9:34 AM

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to determine if its the oil pressure switch, oil pump and engine bearings.

+1
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 10:01 AM
KILDAREJOHN

Ya, thanks. Just waiting for oil pressure gauge now but dont think its bearings cos the engine sounds sweet, no knocks or rattles even when cold! Could it be an electronic fault? I know citroens are notorious for these kind of problems

+1
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 11:01 AM
MARCO@SIMNET.IS

I've the same problem. The car has only 37.000 km.
The stop warning comes after 1 km drive, usually after breaking.
I also expect an answer from an expert.

+1
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009 AT 1:19 PM
DJMEADOWS

I have also had the same problem with my 2005 C4, which has done 38,000. The warning and STOP light comes on mainly when I am parking or slowing down, but not always and sometimes not at all. I had a new oil pressure switch fitted today, which seemed OK until I got home and restarted it to put it in my garage. The auto repairers I used had said that it appeared to be in good running order with no sign of low oil pressure problems. Can anyone shed any light on this, or let me know how yours was sorted?

+1
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 11:40 AM
DJMEADOWS

I have noticed today that there is an new oil leak that seems to be coming from around the oil filter. Cannot get it seen to till Monday, but maybe a clogged filter is the root of the problem. It won't have been replaced for 18,000 miles, since last service.

+3
Saturday, October 10th, 2009 AT 10:14 AM
PEPSIFUDGE

My car has just started to show this problem!Once engine running at full temp ie come down a motorway sliproad to a stop and for a second the STOP OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW warning light comes on then goes off until a similar scenario causes a repeat but the light is on and off again within 1 second. This is doing my nut in so I changed the filter replaced the oil ( 50 quid) but still it happens. The engine has allways been tappetty(sp) first thing in the morning but apart from that it runs sweet.(1.4 Petrol 45,000) Am I doing damage for a split second?

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 4:15 PM
DJMEADOWS

After discovering the oil leak from the oil filter, I had the oil and filter changed. This was over a week ago and it is now running fine.

+1
Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 4:56 PM
CONNORSKY

I am having the same problem, I have changed the oil filter using a genuine citroen dealer filter, also the oil pressure sensor, still the same, never ever had problems like this with older vehicles, technology gone mad, senor for this senor for that, has anyone got a clue what's happening, obviously the so called experts haven't, I have been on all the forums, there's a lot of citroen owners having this problem but no fixes of any sort

Sunday, April 30th, 2017 AT 12:55 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Those engine had a problem with sludge building up in the oil pan which clogs the oil pick up causing the low oil pressure.

Please remove the oil pan to inspect for this problem.

Let me know what you find.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 AT 10:07 AM
CONNORSKY

Thank you for getting in touch with me Ken, here is the situation to date, as I have already mentioned, changed the oil filter and oil sensor switch and oil, put it into a garage they took the sump off and cleaned it also the sieve, they said the oil pump was totaly clogged up, I bought a new oil pump and they fitted that, again a new oil filter and oil sensor switch, went and picked it up, after 10 minuets the stop sighn came on and the beeps started, and again oil pressure to low came on the screen, I called the garage who fitted the oil pump, they said it must be an electrical fault now, i'm no further forward with this problem, I think citroen should sort this out, to many citroen car owners are having this problem, its an obvious fault with the vehicles, what is your
View on the problem.

Regaeds Edward

Saturday, May 6th, 2017 AT 8:48 AM
2CARPROS KEN

At this point I would put a manual oil pressure gauge on the engine and run it to see what it is to determine if its the engine or the electronics.

Let me know, Ken

Saturday, May 6th, 2017 AT 9:07 PM
CONNORSKY

The garage already done the oil gauge,
also they checked the turbo, the mechanic is a friend of mine, he checked to see if the engine was scrap before fitting the new oil pump and the rest of the items, I have been looking again at possible electrical faults, I took the battery off to charge it, I never had the problem before that, I have seen on the forums it may now need the bsi reset, I am going to reset it today, that is said to change the sensor readings, I will let you know what happens
thanks, Ed

Sunday, May 7th, 2017 AT 5:05 AM
CONNORSKY

Update, resetting the bsi. Has made no difference, still the problem continues, I am now totaly at a loss, I think the car is scrap, I never thought you could buy a scrap car from ebay, I was truely had over, I hope my posts help other cjtroen owners.
Regards Edward

Sunday, May 7th, 2017 AT 8:11 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Thanks for the update. I am wondering if the instrument cluster has gone bad and this is why the warning comes on?

Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 11:39 AM
DANDERRY

I had the same problem with my 05 citroen c4. The oil pump was changed and had genuine oil filter fitted and oil changed but it done nothing. I had the oil filter housing changed yesterday and it seems to have done the trick, the part was 25 from a breakers yard

Wednesday, June 7th, 2017 AT 12:22 AM
2CARPROS KEN

So good! Nice find on that one, can you see the actual problem in the housing is it clogged?

Cheers, Ken

Friday, June 9th, 2017 AT 4:57 PM