ENGINE WHINE

2006 Chrysler Town and Country

debik2

December, 27, 2009 AT 11:05 AM

Noises problem
2006 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75,000 miles

After I drive my van for a period of 1-2 hours (highway travel) something in the engine compartment begins to whine - loudly. It gets louder as you press the gas and as you slow down it gets quieter but never goes away even when parked. After it sits for an hour or so - the whine is completely gone.

Someone told me that the serpentine belt will whine when it gets hot but I've had this type of belt on other cars and never had this problem.

If anyone has any idea what this might be I would appreciate the info as I cannot afford to have a mechanic play a quessing game at my expense.

Thanks bunches,
Deb

Amye

December, 31, 2009 AT 4:44 PM

I have the same noise. When I turn the wheel at a stop with out moving the noise gets louder. Let the car sit for an hour or so and no noise. Till I drive it over 60mph for 45 min or more. Mine has 67,000 6cyl. I have been told it is the power steering. I checked the fluid and it is at the line when cold. Is this correct?

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series