2003 Chrysler Town and Country changing front brakes

HOGFAN
  • 1 POST
  • 2003 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

2003 Chrysler Town and Country 110000 miles

what size allen wrench do you need to take off the caliper

Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 10:33 AM

MATHIASO

The tool needed to take out the two bolts is a 7mm Hex Bit Socket. You can also get an allen wrench but I think the socket is better because you can use it with your rachet.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0996b43f8022f5c8_1.jpg

hope this help.
thank you for using 2carpros.com

+2
Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 3:06 PM
SIMPSON FAM
  • 2 POSTS

Not ALL require 7mm hex bit or allen head bit. My 03 T&C required a 6mm hex bit. Did not have a 6 where I was. Had to drive in a torx. Next time I will load all tools and not trust others information

Saturday, December 23rd, 2017 AT 10:33 AM
STEVE W.

It will depend on if the parts are OEM or if they have been replaced due to wear or damage. It also depends on which brake option you have and the build date of the vehicle. That is one of the reasons it is hard to answer that "for bolt A1 you need to use this wrench" 99% of the time I just look at the fastener and go grab the correct tool because of this very problem.
This comes about from the bean counters mainly. They go to the engineers about lowering costs and will ask, "Do we really need this 1/2" bolt to hold this in place, can't we switch to these neat 1/4" inch ones that are available for 1/2 the cost?" Then you end up with the compromise size of 3/8" and a different head so that they don't get mixed up.

It's also one of the reasons why my tool boxes weigh more than most battle tanks. Now they are also using special anti-tamper fasteners to discourage the DIY people from doing the work themselves. So I get to buy more tools.

Sunday, December 24th, 2017 AT 5:13 AM