2002 Chrysler Town and Country wont start, no power to the

AMBURGYW
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

2002 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8L Two Wheel Drive Automatic

system was shorted while someone was trying to bypass the a/c low pressure switch. Now the van won't start. There is power to the tps, map, cam sensor, crank sensor, and even the low pressure switch. BUT there is NO power going to th coil pack! Is there a fuseable link in this circuit? Any advise would be great. Thanks

Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 9:56 PM

Check the ASD relay it powers the coil

Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 10:26 PM
AMBURGYW

ASD relay is fine still no power to coil pack.

Saturday, April 25th, 2009 AT 1:33 PM

Did you meant no battery voltage to the coil brown and white wire or no spark being produce?

+2
Saturday, April 25th, 2009 AT 3:28 PM
AMBURGYW

First, THank you so much for help. Both, I was told that there should be power for about a second when the key is turned to the run position. THen when the engine is being turned over. BUt there is none. Thank you.

Saturday, April 25th, 2009 AT 10:02 PM

In order for the ASD relay to operate the computer has to ground it to transfer power to the circuits it controls-coil and fuel injectors

Do this get a helper to turn key to run -disconnect an injector wiring connector check for power-connect voltmeter to the brown and white wire and then tell the helper to put key on run position do you have power?

Sunday, April 26th, 2009 AT 12:30 AM
AMBURGYW

Yes, there is power to injectors; 9.6v at initial turn to the on position and then.16v while turning over.

-1
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 6:30 PM

Do you have battery voltage to the coil brown and white wire?

-2
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 7:09 PM
AMBURGYW

Yes there is power to the brown and white wire, @10v on initial turn to on then @.16v while turning the engine over. But no spark. Fuel pump running at right times.

+1
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 1:13 PM

Test the camshaft and crankshaft sensors-

+1
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 5:01 PM
AMBURGYW

Checked camshaft sensor it has voltage. How do I check the sensor itself? I ran an OBD-II scan and there are no codes. I cant find the crankshaft sensor. Where is it located? I have the 3.8L. Thanks again for all your help!

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 2:35 AM

There's is no code P0340/P0320 that relates to the cam and crank sensors- The CPS is located on right side of engine below exhaust manifold.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cps_27.jpg

+1
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 4:29 PM
AMBURGYW

How do I test the sensors? A manual I have says they can only be checked using a OBD-II scanner.

+1
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 4:55 PM

Check the IPM ( intelligent power module ) next to the battery for blown fuses.-If fuses are okay and ASD relay okay-could be a wiring problem to the computer or the computer is defective.

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 5:27 PM
AMBURGYW

Got the crank sensor out, Checked for voltage and all was good. Is there a way to check the sensors themselves with a multimeter? An what about continuity from the pcm to the sensors?

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 5:51 PM
AMBURGYW

Your diagram shows the sensor in the niddle of the motor under the exhaust on the right side(back side). But there isn't one there. My manual shows it on the right side of the bell housing below the exhaust. Could this be correct? I found a sensor there. It has three wires and when I removed it it was retained with one bolt and the end of it looked like a big watch battery. Is this the crank sensor?

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 6:06 PM

The CPS that you've located might be the one-I'm using Mit1 On Demand it gave me that-as per testing of the Cam/Crank its unavailable-I don't even know if you have an ignition control module that tells the computer to fire the coil not listed either. As for the CPS try replacing it and see what happens. Make sure all wiring connectors on the computer are firmed/tight and the sensors

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 6:44 PM
AMBURGYW

Are there any fuseable links that might cause this kind of problem?

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 8:07 PM

Turn key on check engine light should be on
crank engine check engine light should go off if not 99% crank sensor no good
replace crank sensor and try again

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 8:47 PM
AMBURGYW

Changed it and still nothing. Going to change th cam sensor. Are there any fuseable links, if blown, that might cause this kind of problem? An, so there is not any way to test the cam sensor without replacing it?

Thursday, April 30th, 2009 AT 12:50 PM

You started off with no power to coil-if its a fusible links-you gonna know real fast. In the event you replace the cam sensor and still don't work-Have the computer tested.

+1
Thursday, April 30th, 2009 AT 3:56 PM