Engine No start

DEMEARSJR67
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

Engine Mechanical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Problem: Hard to start
Replaced: Battery and fuel filter
Tested starter. Tests good.
Just started having this problem.
Go to start it and it takes about 4 or 5 tries.
Has spark.
Been told to replace the O2 sensor.
Starting fluid does make it start easier.

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 7:44 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Test fuel pressure, may have weak fuel pump. is engine light on? if so what codes are showing up?

Here is a guide that can help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Let me know

Cheers,

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 7:56 PM
DEMEARSJR67

Typical codes.
PO442, 455 456

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 8:27 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

And fuel pressure?

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 8:29 PM
DEMEARSJR67

Haven't found the port to check it yet.
Work 10 hour days, 6 days a week.
Should have time to find it tomorrow.
Have turned the key on 3 or 4 times to the on position to see if the pump would kick on.
Did the first time, but didn't after that.
Switched around the relays and still nothing.

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 8:06 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

See if our tips on this issue helps on the following link.. http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 12:33 AM
C.RAINE
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

2002 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I need some help. We own a Chrysler Town and Country mini-van and for some strange reason we cannot get the car to start. It was running fine, but every now and then the car will refuse to start again, after it has been shut off. All of the interior lights still turn on as well as the radio and air conditioning. When I turn the key in the ignition, there is a clicking sound, but no turnover. I replaced the battery in the car last month, and when I check the voltage on the battery, it is where it needs to be.
Any advice?

Sunday, November 26th, 2017 AT 8:45 PM (Merged)

Your probable causes here could be the starter and starter relay to include bad connections-See below Starter EWD

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_town_and_country_start_ckt_1.jpg

LEONARD WILLIAM JONES
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

All warning lights came on at once. Air ran hot even though it was set for max cool. Got car home no other lights, but one red dot. Car turns over but will not start.

When you have an engine running problem, you need to list which engine you have. Have you read the diagnostic fault codes? Do you know how to do that yourself?

2CARPROS RENEE
  • 720 POSTS

Hi LEONARD WILLIAM JONES,

CARADIODOC suggested scanning for codes. If you decide you would like to conduct the scan yourself here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself. Also, I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning.
This is applicable even if your check engine light is not on.

Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Once you have the codes please get back to us so that we can further assist you. Please include your engine size. We are always happy to help.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin

MISTY KITCHEN
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

My van will start and run with no noticeable issues when the engine is cold/cool at start. When the engine is warm/hot, such as while running errands, the van will start chug/stutter for a few seconds, and then stall. Restarting eventually results in the engine not turning at all. At times, there is rough idle at start and I turn it off and then it restarts with no issues.

One day I had a lot of errands to run so I did not turn the car off while I went inside various places to do business as I knew turning the car off would leave me stranded. Unfortunately, while in the drug store the other day, I came out and the car was still running but it had a very rough idle. I turned the car off and restarted but it still had a rough idle. I revved the engine because in the past, doing so seemed to help me get around the performance issue, but it continued and then ultimately stalled.

I replaced the MAP sensor, cleaned the throttle body and also some sort of air sensor that is part of it, found a vacuum leak and replaced the hose, and replaced the MAP sensor. Also used a good fuel system cleaner but have not run through the gas yet.

Please, can anybody point me in a different area? I have searched and searched but have not found many answers for my issue. I do not want to have to turn to paying someone to fix my car as I am a single mom, but I will if things become too involved. I am pretty good with my hands and take pride in my hidden talents, so if I can do it myself, I would like to know what it is!

Thank you so very much!

Check battery for condition including load test most places do for free. check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts have them for rent. scan for codes auto parts does for free. See link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

MISTY KITCHEN

I will go get that done tomorrow after work, thank you. Can the auto parts store pull codes without the check engine light on? I always just assumed it had to be on for there to be any codes. It did come on a few days ago but I never bothered having them check it as it turned off after I did the recent work.

No not the scanner they have. Only a mechanic with a pro machine can do that. It may be something else that a mechanic will have to do anyhow. Also check for vacuum leaks as well.

BUDSTER767
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

2002 Chrysler town n country will not run. It turns over, but will not run. I have spark and I can hear the fuel pump kick on. Can someone help please

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge if its within specs and also check if the injectors are pulsing-start here

BLAIRB
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

just ran to store, have had no recent problems, came out of store turned key, nothing. Got a jump, nothing. Guy who tried jumping me left I tried key again and it cranked good but did not start. Currently 20 degrees and snowing with 40 mph wind, ride I called didnt show up so I walked home 2 miles about 4 houses from my house ride showed up. Went back to van, still just cranks.1/2 tank of gas. Any ideas? Unemployed aircraft worker cant donate

Make sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are good. Have a helper crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs. Spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

Where I live, the wind is blowing so hard, the snow is coming down parallel to the ground. It is cold! Not a day to be outside trying to work on a vehicle.

BLAIRB

Checked for spark, none, dont have equipment to test fuel pressure

Check primary voltage to ignition coil and injectors, engine cranking, brown wire with white tracer. That voltage comes from the asd relay. That doesn't mean the relay is faulty, there could be other issues. Some of the national brand autostores will loan a fuel pressure gage, you can ask them.

Related Engine Not Starting Content