2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Flickering dash and headlights

AGGIE
  • 2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My car runs great. It doesn't try to stall dead or anything like that. However, it does have one problem while driving with the headlights on. The headlights will flicker sometimes even the dash once they both went out and then came right back on. The dealer says he cannot find the problem. THe flickering can range from mild to severe. It's like a bolt of lightning you don't know when or where it's going to strike. Then Bam! There she goes.
Thank you for your time.
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 5:54 AM

I would guess one of three things. A bad or loose head light switch, bad ground at motor or body ground strap, or the Body Vontrol Module (BCM).

Since the car is still under warranty, the dealer has to fix it because it is dangerous. They have three chances. If they can't fix it, it will most likely fall under the lemon law if you purchased it new.

Note: I would contact a Chrysler rep on this issue. You can get the number from the owner's manual.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 1:42 PM
AGGIE
Thank you for your response. I have now had the car to the dealer a total of five times. All different dealers. Two of the dealers kept the car and drove it for 2 weeks they both claim the car is running at factory specs and there is no problem. My son and I have had lots of problems with it. The voltage was running around 14.5 now it's running at 13.9 it keeps dropping over time. I just don't know what to do. I'm the second owner so I don't know about the lemon law. Thanks for your reply
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 2:26 PM
The 13.9 volts is acceptable for alt output. As far as the other things, did it ever happen to them in the process of two weeks?

Again, it is either a bad ground, BCM (body control Module) I spelled it wrong the last time, or a switch. Have they checked the BCM?
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 2:58 PM
AGGIE
They said there was no occurance of it the whole time they had it which is hard for me to understand since it does it for me so frequently. They said the instrument panel in the car had been replaced before I bought it because of the same problem I am reporting. They said hey checked the charging system and the PCM which are the only other two things they said could be my problem and those were alright. The other night while waiting at a red light the car began ideling rough I thought it was going to go dead on me. I looked and the voltage had droped to 12.6 volts. I'm stumped. Again thanks for your response
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 5:55 PM
I still feel it is either a bad ground or the BCM. Since it has an adverse effect on the engine, I would have the BCM checked. Also, droping to 12.9 volts is still good, but I realize it isn't normal for your car. Also, I question of the headlight switch has an internal short. That would cause the volts to drop too. And, if they replaced the instrument panel before and it still has the problem, we can eliminate it.
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 7:26 PM