185,000 MILES-HALF SHAFTS CHEWED UP AND SPIT OUT

2002 Chrysler Grand Voyager

ditchh20

November, 21, 2006 AT 7:24 PM

Ok, (maybe Grand Voyager, but I don't know how you tell the difference) with 3.3 Chrysler motor, 185,000+ miles on it.
This is an ugly, wonderful, loyal, and beloved minivan. It spat out the inner knuckle on an old passenger side half -shaft, and I didn't have a complaint about it. It was about time, I thought, and I put in a new one. Now it has chewed and regurgitated two more half shafts, boots intact and deposited the components of the innner knuckle in the street. I mean, I can't get half a block! I have a couple of guesses, but I think I really need good advice on this. Guess 1. Grand Voyagers take a different half shaft? They look the same and I don't know whether it is a Grand Voyager or not. Guess 2. I am missing a bad motor mount when I look for it. They all seem fine, but the location and amount of them and description of how to test their condition might answer the question. Yikes, do struts effect half shafts? Ball joints, TR ends, sway, controlling arm bushes all of these seem fine, too. AH!
Sincerely,
Thomas

Canvis69@yahoo.com

December, 8, 2006 AT 1:17 AM

They normaly break because they are to short / aka wrong. You have to use the vin to identify your model when you get the new one. Also it could be a really toasted suspesion pulling it out to far. Like a ball joint or strut mount. A motor mount that would snap a cv would shake like the dickens.

carundell

December, 8, 2006 AT 3:23 AM

Hey ditch,
Canvis69 has got you on the right track! Older dodge/chrysler mini van will demolish cv axles, the common problem is the motor mounts get worn or fail causing a misalignment and chewing up the cv's Good call canvis!

Regards,

Chris

CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
CV Axle Replacement