2002 Chrysler 300 Harmonic Balancer

DSTEENBOCK
  • 2002 CHRYSLER 300
My wifes 2002 Chrysler 300M. She was complaining of a squeal that never produced itself when I listened for it. I assumed belts, but I checked them out and they really didn't look too bad. She got home from work the other day and said it was worse, that it was doing it at stoplights when before only when she was moving.

I looked at it again, and it was the idler pulley. It was wobbling and groaning and squealing, so I just cut the AC belt until I can deal with it.

But then I noticed the harmonic balancer was wobbling too. It only wobbles at idle though, at higher rpm's it's straight.

So I'm wondering, is wobbling at idle normal and if so how much wobble is too much? It looks like it is wobbling too much to me, but I don't know for sure. If it's not wobbling at higher rpm's, does that mean it's in no danger of failing in the immediate future?

Thanks a lot for any insight into this.
Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

I would be getting this replaced as if if does fail it will strand your wife, there is a fair chance that it will fail with out notice.

Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 4:59 PM