HARMONIC BALANCER

1999 Chrysler 300

icy360

June, 10, 2010 AT 10:52 PM

1999 Chrysler 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

I would like to know if I should or if it's safe to heat the harmonic balancer in order to pull it off with tool. It seems it is too stuck to do this any other way.

June, 11, 2010 AT 3:44 AM

Hi icy360, Welcome to 2carpros an TY for the donation

Its not a good idea bcuz of the rubber seal in between-you can try WD-40 and blow torch lil at a time while you pry from back of the pulley-if it gets stubborn do what it takes to pull it out and get one from the local yard

icy360

June, 11, 2010 AT 10:48 AM

Alright. That is what I was trying to find out. I got it off with some spray greese and a bit of prying. Didn't need heat. Thank You for you're help.

Jack42

June, 12, 2010 AT 9:27 AM

If I may. those take a special 3 jaw puller and rod that goes inside the nose of the crankshaft.Without the correct puller you are trying to pull against teh pulley itself and it wont come off.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_otc6284_1.gif

icy360

June, 13, 2010 AT 11:06 AM

I've tried to find the tool that places the Hamonic Balancer back on correctly. It seems that the harmonic balancer installation kit at stores does not install for my car I've tried it and they don't have an alternative. I had to buy a new harmonic balancer because the old one was bent or something was wrong with it. The new one went on fine, and is working correctly. Yes the puller is what you need too, and is a tool I used.

bluelightnin6

June, 26, 2010 AT 2:00 AM

Thanks for that info. And glad you got it fixed.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet