2001 CHEVY VENTURE HEATING ISSUES

• FLarson
  • 2001 Chevrolet Venture

Heater problem
2001 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

We just recently bought a 2001 Chevy venture. This is the luxury model with everything on it, as far as I know. Obviously it was used.

We actuall have two problems, that we thought might be related, but now are not sure.

When it is really cold (below freezing) the first thing that happens is that the turn signal indicators on the dash will come on when you press the brakes. Then if you put on the left signal, while pressing the brakes, it blinks rapidly as if the light were not working properly. However, when we have someone stand behind the vehicle and look, what is actually happening is that the reverse light and the turn signal blink rapidly alternating. This only happens on the driver's side and only when you apply the brake. Then when you actually turn the wheel to the left as to make the left turn, the "service traction system" light comes on and the traction system turns itself off. Again, ONly happens when turning left, and ONLY when it is cold enough to set the lights going wierd.

OK, the other issue. A few months ago, we replaced the thermostat, because it was sticking. We knew it was sticking because we had the same issues with another van we had. Basically when the heat was on, it would blow warm for a bit, then start blowing cold all of a suddden and the engine would then overheat.

So anyway, we got the thermostat replaced and all was well. Now our heat does not work when it is very cold. Absolutely NO warm air comes out at all, and the blower does not work at all when put to the highest speed (#5) There is a popping sound when you first switch the direction of the blowers to come out the dash. We were told that it is the internal heater vents opening.

My husband says that the cooling fan at the front of the engine is not coming on. But the engine does not overheat (though it does fluctuate when idling)

Any ideas?

Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 AT 8:56 AM

• Jack42

The light problem sounds like a bad ground on the left side. I would che3ck the rear plugs for melted connectors. The heat sounds like it is low on coolant, when the heater core fills you have hot air, when empty cold air.

Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 AT 12:06 PM
  • FLarson

When you say to check rear plugs. Do you mean spark plugs, or what? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about cars but can do quite a bit if I know what to look for.

Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 AT 12:10 PM
  • FLarson

We just recently had a tie rod replaced. Could something not be connected properly?

Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 AT 12:13 PM
  • legitimate007

Why? Whats happening?

Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 AT 12:33 PM
  • FLarson

I was thinking that maybe the tie-rod replacement could have something to do with the traction control light?

Thursday, January 3rd, 2008 AT 12:53 PM
  • legitimate007

MMmmm I don't think that it would.

Saturday, January 5th, 2008 AT 1:27 PM