Radio wiring diagram

STEPJAM
  • 2000 CHEVROLET VENTURE

2000 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90k miles

This is complictaed, for me at least.

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture with a factory AM/FM CD player, no OnStar, no Bose, no Alarm.

I need to supply switched 12v power to an aftermarket stereo that I want to install. I tried using several different aftermarket modules (Metra, Scoshe, etc.) For this, and none have worked. One even caused my DIC to display erroneous messages, such as "security" and "low fuel", and caused my fuel gauge to read empty.

Apparently some computer lines were routed through the factory radio. There is a 24pin connector on the harness with eighteen wires, I only need twelve: eight for speakers, one for 12v constant, one switched 12v, ground, and illumination. I know there is no connection for a "switched" 12v source (accessory) in this vehicle.

My chimes all work even with the radio removed. I tested the grounds in the radio harness (two b/w wires), and I have fluctuating resistance readings in them, which suggests to me that these don't go directly to a chassis ground. There doesn't appear to be any problems with the factory radio removed and the harness disconnected.

Is it possible to wire directly to the RAP relay to get my switched 12v power, and can you tell me where the realy is located? I also want to try going direct from the radio ground to the chassis. I have tried finding a wiring diagram that shows something other than the generic twelve wires I listed above, but no luck.

Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 11:12 AM

MERLIN2021

This is what I came up with for the basic radio system? If you need the premium, I will get it for you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_radioa_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_radiob_1.jpg

-2
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 11:30 AM
STEPJAM

This is EXACTLY what I had in mind, thank you very much!

I believe I have the "Premium" system, which has a CD player. Could you by chance supply me with larger copies? The one that is posted is too small to read.

Thanks again!

Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 11:37 AM
STEPJAM

One last thing:

Can I tap off of the RAP relay to get switched accessory power for the aftermarket stereo? And where is the RAP relay located in a 2000 Venture?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 12:45 PM
MERLIN2021

Just use the fused ACC wire, shown highlighted in yell/pink

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_rada_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_radc_1.jpg

(ENLARGED VERSION BELOW!)

+4
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM
QTRHOS

Merlin, would it be possible for you to also send me an email of a larger diagram for the 2000 Venture with premium radio. I have the one with the video system installed. I had a shop mount a new radio in the car but they say they cant get the rear speakers to work. I will just redo it myself.

Friday, March 19th, 2010 AT 7:10 PM
TZIDZOU

Greetings,
Could you guys send me these two diagrams in large scale? I am working on new aftermarket radio setup but to be honest with you, I am completely fooled by the color thing. Thanking you in advance. I am in the same situation as howler1965. Cut off the harness and now need to weld them all back.

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 5:45 PM
UPRIGHTBC

This seems to be the only place on the internet with a solution to this problem.

Can I also please have a larger copy of the second diagram?

Appreciate it!

LARGER WIRING DIAGRAM BELOW!

Friday, February 8th, 2013 AT 4:12 AM
PHILL283

Having a similar issue, bought the GM harness for the radio but the pins on the new plug (from radio) don't match up with the pins on the male plug (on the van).
Does this diagram tell me where to out the pins on the new plug?
And could I get a larger image, if so?

Thanks!

Sunday, October 27th, 2013 AT 11:48 AM
COZ337

Any chance the larger version of this diagram is still around? I am trying to install an aftermarket radio into my 05 venture with no luck thus far. I feel this is what I need to get it to work. Thanks in advance.

Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 12:14 PM
WROGERW

I have a 99 venture (had cassette player in dash and external CD). Once I unplugged the CD player, the inside lighting stopped working. No blown fuses. Would you happen to have a diagram for the 99 Venture, or a blown up version of what is displayed (if that will work).

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 AT 3:27 PM
RUSSELB

I know this is an older topic, but I would like a copy of the larger diagram, as I think I'm having the same (or close enough similar) problem. I tried printing the picture from the response (2nd picture, first page), but it's unintelligible. Hopefully a larger version of the picture will print better.

Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 3:09 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hello everyone that needs this wiring diagram. (BELOW)

I have included both kinds of sounds system that came with the Chevy venture 2000. Standard and premium.

Please let me know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 6:23 PM
PHILL283
  • 2000 CHEVROLET VENTURE

Trying to switch my van radio, bought the GM harnes but the pins on the new plug don't match the male plug on the van. Is there a diagram that would show me where the pins on the new plug should be?
Its a 24 pin plug but I am only using 12.

-1
Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 6:33 PM (Merged)

Is the harness for the correct year vehicle? As far as a schematic for the new harness, I wouldn't have that. You would need to visit a stereo shop or a dealer.

ZACHARYTUNSTALL
  • 2005 CHEVROLET VENTURE

I need a better copy of an aftermarket wiring diagram for my stereo on my chevy venture. I cant figure out which wire goes to what from my vehicle cause theres so many wires please help asap so I can finish and go to bed. Thanks very much

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 6:34 PM (Merged)

I'm afraid you're in for some disappointment. GM's engineers have cleverly integrated the Body Computer into the radio to prevent you from replacing it, and tying you to their two grossly-overpriced repair centers. The Body Computer is the master computer that tells all the other dozens of computers when to turn on. It provides the chime, and can be involved with things like power locks, wipers, and even the cruise control. You can't even replace the radio with the same model from a salvage yard without having it programmed to your vehicle by the dealer. To add to the insult, any mechanic has the option with a scanner to press a single button to "lock" every computer to the radio. That one-time programming can not be undone. If that is ever done, you'll never know it until the radio fails and has to be replaced. At that point every other computer module also has to be replaced, and they all have to individually have their software uploaded over an internet connection. That can take days to complete.

In retaliation, the aftermarket industry has come up with "relocation kits". That is a long wiring harness that allows you to mount the original radio in the trunk or under a seat, then you only have to cut the speaker wires and hook them to your new radio. You can find those at Crutchfield, and probably at Best Buy. I've been told those kits include instructions telling you which colors are the speaker wires. If that is incorrect, I'll find a wiring diagram and figure out which wires you need to cut.

Related Radio Wiring Diagram Content

Recommended guides