CHEV REBUILT ENGINE WON'T START

Chevrolet Truck

bob12

April, 10, 2007 AT 5:35 PM

I just installed a rebuilt engine in a 92 Chev, 1 ton, 5.7L. It ran good but burned a lot of oil. The engine rebuilder confirmed it was the rings. This has a throttle body & a distributor with electronic spark advance. I aligned the distributor rotor by turning the engine while watching the #1 intake valve close then another 1/2 turn to TDC. I then installed the distributor and aligned #1 wire with the rotor. I set the timing w/timing light while cranking the engine per direction on the emission label. The timing should be set with the enging running but I can't get that far. The injectors are delivering fuel. I get sputtering and backfiring but it will not run. I have tripple checked the plug wires & firing order. Any ideas?

April, 10, 2007 AT 5:46 PM

Reading it-did you disconnect the EST wire prior to timing it.

bob12

April, 10, 2007 AT 8:31 PM

Yes I did disconnect the EST wire before setting the timing.

April, 11, 2007 AT 1:38 AM

Do the valve timing again-remove no.1plug bump engine over till you feel compression on finger or the compression gauge-stop, turn crank till it lines up on TDC at the scale-remove distributor cap-the rotor should be pointing directly to no, 1 plug tower-if not remove the hold down bolt, lift the dist. Turn the rotor to point to the no.1 cap tower-now set dist. Down making sure its seated and rotor pointing to no.1 tower.

BTW do you have ignition spark

If the engine has a cam position sensor, a cam-driven distributor or an ignition pickup that triggers off the cam drive, you also won't find any spark.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right