CHEVY FUEL SYSTEM

2002 Chevrolet Truck

Tbell2989

December, 19, 2009 AT 8:31 PM

2002 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 143k miles

on my truck ive been having some fuel line problems today the truck just died, it will crank but will not run. It dies right after cranking.I replaced the fuel filter and still having the same issues. Not sure if maybe the pump is bad or if maybe the fuel line is gunked up

December, 20, 2009 AT 1:15 AM

2002 Chevy Truck fuel system

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge to rule out the fuel pump and also check for injection pulses. If both okay look for spark

Tbell2989

December, 25, 2009 AT 6:11 PM

I did try the fuel gauge. And I belive it has to be the fuel pump. The pressure never got above about 20psi I know that while running it should be at about 55 or so. So I have taken the bed off the truck since I dont feel like dropping the tank. Now its all about getting the money to buy a new pump. Is it possible that it could be the filter on the pump?

December, 25, 2009 AT 6:14 PM

Could be but you still have to open it up and investigate for blockage

Tbell2989

December, 25, 2009 AT 11:11 PM

Alright. One more question. If it is the pump. Or even blockage in the filter. Can I just clean the filter? Or if not can I buy just a filter instead of an entire fuel pump?

December, 26, 2009 AT 4:10 AM

You need to check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump

Tbell2989

December, 26, 2009 AT 8:04 AM

I did check the pressure. It never moved above 20psi. Even with the truck running.I was able to keep it running long enough with starter fluid being sprayed into the carberatour -sp?- My truck should run at about 55psi when cranked and running. So seeing that it never moved above 20psi I think I can safely say that it IS the pump. Ive already removed the bed of the truck and have the fuel pump assembly exposed. Just have to take it apart and see what I can see. But what I wanna know. The pump is only 7yrs old and I wanna know if there is a filter ON the pump and if so. And its blocked. Can I replace just the filter an not the entire pump. The fuel filter itself has been changed and was not blocked to begin with so

December, 26, 2009 AT 1:30 PM

If it has a filter replace that too might last another 7 yrs or more.

Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006