CHEVY NO START

2000 Chevrolet Truck

agottlieb

April, 2, 2010 AT 7:02 AM

2000 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 63K miles

At 8 yrs truck developed crank but no start condition. When truck runs it runs perfectly. Replaced all secondary ignition components, crank sensor and fuel pump. As of late, if truck sits for a week after having run perfectly for days, it seems especially vulnerable to no start scenario during high rain, low barometic pressure conditions such as we have experienced recently in Connecticut. After 2 days sitting in the sun, the truck reluctantly started and now runs fine until the next precipitation. Is there a solid state component that is susseptible to saturation? Thanks, Art

merlin2021

April, 2, 2010 AT 1:36 PM

Art check the MAF at the air filter and the ECT(engine coolant temperature) sensor, this act as a choke for EFI engines. Also check your IAC, hard starts can be caused by this or TPS. Try unplugging the MAF see if it improves any. If it does, replace it. Do you happen to use an oil soaked air filter like K & N?

agottlieb

April, 3, 2010 AT 9:50 PM

Yes, air filter is K& N. It looked a little dry so I replaced it today with OEM paper unit I had on hand. There were some acorn shells in AF housing but no other signs of rodent damage.I am not familiar with IAC and TPS. I think I located the ECT and gauge reads normal temp if these are related. So, what about the K& N filter? BTW truck is K2500 and engine is 5.7L FI. Thanks, Art

merlin2021

April, 3, 2010 AT 10:29 PM

GM put out a technical service bulletin about these filters, they contaminate the MAF sensors, and I mean real bad, cleaning them usually doesn't work. Unplug the maf and see if it will run. Also the throttle body needs a good clean out, use TBI cleaner and a rag with the motor off.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang