1999 CHEVY SUBURBAN FUEL GAGE SHAKES

• Tishea
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Hello! Recently, the fuel gage needle on the dash of our Suburban has started to shake wildly. I have not been able to easily find any information on the subject. Could this be a bad fuse? A short in the electrical system? Does anyone have any ideas on where we should begin to isolate the problem?

Many thanks,
Tishea

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 10:36 PM

• CHEVYII

The fuel sending unit has an updated part, fuel level sensor that bolts to the pump, the old ones get corroded and cause the guage to fluctuate, the level sensor is in the tank on the fuel pump but is available separately

thaanks
jim

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 6:02 AM
  • Gopper

I'm so glad I found this forum. My Suburban is doing the same thing.

ChevyII, You mention there is a updated part. Has Chevrolet done a recall? If not what is the part # or name and is there a link that provides instructions on how to install it. Not sure if this is best left to a mechanic but I'm all for saving money if my husband can do it. Lately he has replaced the interior and exterior driver handle which seems to need replacing once a year.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Saturday, March 31st, 2007 AT 10:25 PM
  • CHEVYII

NO, NOT A RECALL, THE PART IS A FUEL LEVEL SENSOR, THE FUEL PUMP NEEDS TO COME OUT AND IT IS MOUNTED ON THE SIDE OF IT, THE OLD ONES CORRODED AND WOULD DO WHAT YOU HAVE

JIM

Monday, April 2nd, 2007 AT 6:56 PM
  • Larsonw

I also have a 1999 Suburban that the gas gage is shaking. Shorlty after it started to shake the fuel pump went out. I replace the fuel pump that inclues everythin but the gage still shakes. I am not sure why but thought I would ask if there is anything else that will cause this.

Sunday, May 6th, 2007 AT 2:02 PM