1991 Chevy Truck Will not start, no compression

GEAUXTIGERS
  • 1991 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I recently changed the head gaskets on my 1991 Chevrolet C1500 with a 4.3l 6 cyl due to overheating. There was a crack in the front of the right side gasket. Everything else was fine.

Put everything back together and now it will not start. It just turns over at an accellerated rate. By that I mean it turns over fast not sluggishly.

Figured I didn't put the distributor back in correctly so pulled the #1 plug and felt for the compression but there is none. Checked other plugs and same thing, no compression. Using the timing marks on the harmonic balancer, I reset the distributor. I got a loud backfire and then same thing - turns over but wont start.

I am guessing my problem is timing. The absence of compression suggests the timing chain, but before I take it apart to that point, am I missing something simpler or is there something else I should test?

Thanks for the assistance.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 2:01 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
What proceedure was used to set valve lash? Was say a Chiltons manual used? If valves are too tight they will not seat and no compression.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 2:11 PM
GEAUXTIGERS
Doc,

Thanks. I think a light bulb just went off over my head. I did use a Chilton's and obviously misread it. The book says that valve adjustment on 1991-98 7.4L engines and 1995-98 models equipped with V6 engines is not required and to just torque to specifications. Obviously I don't have a 7.4L engine and obviously I went through this too fast because that is exactly what I did - torgued the valves to specs.

Guess my next job is to remove the valve covers and properly adjust - carefully reading the book this time.

Two last questions - did or could I screw anything up by doing this wrong? And 2) any tips or advice on fixing the problem.

Thanks for the quick response.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 2:21 PM
DOCFIXIT
You should be O.K. Done this myself lots of times. Put engine on ADJUST
#1 TDC INTAKE EXHAUST
1-2-3 1-5-6
Turn crank 360deg to TDC #4
4-5-6 2-3-4
Turn nut while spining pushrod when pushrod gets to hard to turn go 1 full turn more.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 4:20 PM