1983 Chevy Truck Stereo Wiring?

DORATHEEXPLORER
  • 1983 CHEVROLET TRUCK
1983 Chevy Truck

I have a C10 Pickup and I am having the hardest time wiring in the stereo. I had it going straight to the battery and that worked but I had to remember to turn the radio off when I got out of the truck. In the fuse box, under the dash, there were 3 spots that said "ignition", I plugged it into each, one at a time. The stereo would turn off and on with the ignitiion turned on, but did not keep memory and the radio fuse kept blowing. Any ideas?
Please help!
cheryl_harwood@yahoo. Com
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 8:37 AM

Hello, there should be two feeds to the radio. Original wire colors, orange is constant 12 volts, for the memory--clock--whatever. Yellow is switched 12 volt--ignition switch feed.
+2
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 9:16 AM
DORATHEEXPLORER
I have a very faded yellow (looks yellow), a light blue and a black coming out of the wiring harness. In the fuse box there are also two spots that say "BAT". An orange wire with a brown plug is plugged into one of them, the other one is empty. When I hooked the wire to each one of these that said "BAT" a buzzer went off.
+1
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 9:52 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_83_stereo_1.jpg

My wiring info on your model year isn't very good. I can't track wiring circuits. The above info came from, the12volt.com

I didn't want to use their wiring info and not give them credit.
+5
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 11:47 AM
DORATHEEXPLORER
Thank you!
Any idea what the 3 spots in the fuse box labeled "IGN" & the 2 labeled "BAT" are for?
+1
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 11:54 AM
If they blank, nothing plugged in, I would think they are extra feed for ignition and bat add-ons. Ignition feed goes hot with the key on and bat feed is hot all the time. If there is another purpose for those feeds, I don't know the reason?
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 12:45 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
So technically, I should be able to run the red wire from the stereo to one that says "BAT" and run the yellow wire from the stereo to one that says "IGN"?
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 12:50 PM
If this is a new stereo, the wiring instructions should tell you which wire is which. If the stereo fits your vehicle the connectors should just plug-in. If your trying to hot-wire it, my wiring info isn't good enough. I can't go further.
-1
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 2:01 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
Yeah, it's a new stereo being put into an old truck. The diagram on the stereo only gives you the details for the wiring on the radio itself. Thanks for all yor help & your quick responses.
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 2:13 PM
Hi, the web site I mentioned is a stereo site.
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 2:55 PM
DORATHEEXPLORER
I'll check it out. Thanks Again!
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 3:01 PM