GAS SMELL WITH MY 95

1995 Chevrolet Tahoe

biggmay27

October, 30, 2007 AT 9:51 PM

I have a 95 chevy tahoe, mileage 162,000 5.7 liter. I just recently purchased this truck. After I've been driving it, when I park it, or if I just get out, I smell an odor of gas. I dont see any leaks, but I smell gas pretty good. Any ideas?

pear69

November, 1, 2007 AT 11:38 PM

[quote=" biggmay27" ]I have a 95 chevy tahoe, mileage 162,000 5.7 liter. I just recently purchased this truck. After I've been driving it, when I park it, or if I just get out, I smell an odor of gas. I dont see any leaks, but I smell gas pretty good. Any ideas?[/

Fill the tank with gas, notice if the smell is worse with a full tank or an almost empty tank. If there is any difference in the smell then its probably a leaking gas tank. My 98 tahoe's tank leaked where the tank halves were welded by the filler hose. It was hard to find. Look around where the filler hose connects to the tank.

biggmay27

November, 6, 2007 AT 8:09 PM

I only smell gas when engine running, or after I've been driving it. Was told that it wasnt burning gas properly and gas could be smelled coming through the exhaust. Ii juacked it up, lowered the tank some, I saw no leaks. However, the tank does not seem to be building up any pressure.

pear69

November, 6, 2007 AT 10:17 PM

Ok, take the air cleaner off and look behind the throttle body where the fuel lines connect, there are two connections. Start the engine or jump out the fuel pump to pressurize the lines and see if fuel is leaking out from there. If so, very very very carefully take the fuel lines off, use a wrench to hold back the fitting that goes in the throttle body or you will kink the line and it may break. Spray some penetrating oil on these lines first--you'll see. Then, take the fittings out of the throttle and you will see two flat teflon washers. Replace these washers with ones from the dealer not after market--trust me here too.
I've also seen the fuel lines rust away where they go down behind the motor. If this is the case-- I would not disturb the fuel lines at the throttle body at all. I would buy some fuel injection hose and clamps (important to use hose and clamps designed for fuel injection because it's under high pressure) be sure it's the right size, and fix it that way. Be aware that fuel injection hose is more expensive than regular fuel line and a lot stronger. I've seen guys use regular fuel line to fix a fuel injected line and about a week later they were shopping for a new truck because the line blew up like a balloon and burst all over the distributer cap. BABOOM good luck be carefull! Let me know how you make out

pear69

November, 6, 2007 AT 10:23 PM

I forgot, if the fuel connections in the back of the throttle body are the problem, replace the o-rings on the fuel lines also. Rember DO NOT KINK THOSE FUEL LINES they kink very easy.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Engine Oil Change and Filter