How can I replace my rear brake pads and rotors?

REDDY7513
  • 2007 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I am just wondering if you can give me the info on how to do the rear brakes? Thank you in advance.
Monday, August 24th, 2009 AT 8:39 PM

DANNY L
Here is the information you requested. Here is a tutorial on how to remove and replace rear brake pads and rotors: Here is a YouTube video from our site on how to compress the rear caliper piston when performing a rear brake job:

https://youtu.be/PAjUx1Rct4Q

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-pads-and-rotors

I've attached picture steps below on how to replace the brake pads on your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros
Thursday, March 11th, 2021 AT 11:06 PM
PAMSPARKS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Brake job is needed can you help?
Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 AT 9:35 AM (Merged)
Hi,

Replacing the rear brakes and pads really isn't too hard. You can expect them to last approximately 30,000 miles, but that will change with driving habits and terrain.

Here is a link that shows in general how to do it. You can use this as a guide.

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

______________________________

2004 Chevy Truck Tahoe 2WD V8-5.3L VIN T
Brake Pads Replacement - Rear
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Pad Service and Repair Procedures Brake Pads Replacement - Rear
BRAKE PADS REPLACEMENT - REAR
Brake Pads Replacement - Rear

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust in Service Precautions.

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components in Service Precautions.

pic 1

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
4. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting..
5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
6. Inspect the caliper operation. Refer to Brake Caliper Inspection.
7. Place a C-clamp as shown. Slowly bottom the pistons of the caliper. It may be necessary to reposition the C-clamp to allow both of the pistons to bottom into the caliper bores.

Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

8. Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support the caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement - Rear (1500 Series) or Brake Caliper Replacement - Rear (2500 Series).

9. Inspect the caliper assembly. Refer to Brake Caliper Inspection.

pic 2

10. Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket.
11. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Installation Procedure

pic 3

1. Install the anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper bracket.
2. Install the brake pads to the brake caliper bracket.
3. Install the brake caliper to the mounting bracket. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement - Rear (1500 Series) or Brake Caliper Replacement - Rear (2500 Series).
4. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
5. Lower the vehicle.
6. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
7. Slowly release the brake pedal.
8. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
9. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.
10. Burnish the brakes pads and rotors as necessary. Refer to Burnishing Pads and Rotors.

__________________________________

Rotor Replacement

Rear (W/O NYS)
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Rotor/Disc Service and Repair Procedures Brake Rotor Replacement Rear (W/O NYS)
REAR (W/O NYS)
Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear (W/O NYS)

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in Service Precautions.

Removal Procedure

Tools Required
J41013 Rotor Resurfacing Kit
J42450-A Wheel Hub Resurfacing Kit

1. Release the park brake.
2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting..
3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
4. Mark the relationship of the rotor to the axle flange.

pic 4

5. Install a C-clamp over the body of the brake caliper, with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and the outboard disc brake pad.
6. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed into the caliper bores enough to remove the caliper from the pads.
7. Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.
8. Remove the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts.

pic 5

9. Remove the brake caliper and brake caliper bracket as an assembly and support with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
10. Remove the rotor retaining push nuts from the wheel studs, if applicable.
11. It may be necessary to strike the end of the hub or the rotor with a deadblow hammer to separate the rotor from the hub.

pic 6

12. Remove the rotor by slowly turning the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle.

Installation Procedure

pic 7

Important: Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the hub/axle flange, any rust or contaminants should be cleaned from the hub/axle flange and the brake rotor mating surfaces. Failure to do this may result in excessive assembled lateral runout (LRO) of the brake rotor, which could lead to brake pulsation.

1. Use the J42450-A to clean all rust and contaminants from the mating surface of the hub flange.
2. Use the J41013 to clean all rust and contaminants from the inside diameter of the hat section of the brake rotor to prevent any foreign material from getting between the brake rotor and the hub flange.
3. Inspect the mating surfaces of the hub/axle flange and the rotor to ensure that there are no foreign particles or debris remaining.
4. Align the rotor to its original position on the hub, if applicable, and install the rotor by slowly turning the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle.
5. If the brake rotor was removed and installed as part of a brake system repair, measure the assembled Lateral Runout (LRO) of the brake rotor to ensure optimum performance of the disc brakes. Refer to Brake Rotor Assembled Lateral Runout (LRO) Measurement.
6. If the brake rotor assembled LRO measurement exceeds the specification, bring the LRO to within specifications. Refer to Brake Rotor Assembled Lateral Runout (LRO) Correction.

pic 8

7. Install the caliper and the bracket as an assembly to the vehicle.
8. Perform the following procedure before installing the caliper bracket mounting bolts.
Remove all traces of the original adhesive patch.
Clean the threads of the bolt with brake parts cleaner or the equivalent and allow to dry.
Apply Threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) to the threads of the bolt.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

9. Install the caliper bracket mounting bolts.
Tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 175 Nm (129 ft. lbs.) (15 Series).
Tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 300 Nm (221 ft. lbs.) (25 Series).
10. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
11. Lower the vehicle.
12. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
13. Slowly release the brake pedal.
14. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 12-13 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
15. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.

_______________________________________

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care and God Bless,

BELL3
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. The rear brake pads were replaced about 6 months ago. I recently started hearing a noise from the passenger rear tire. A mechanic looked at it and said it was a warped rotor.
1) What could be causing the rotor to get warped?
2)Am I looking at some expensive repairs or do I just need to replace the rotor?

3)Should I do both at the same time?
4) I am taking a cross country trip and I have children with me I really need some help so I dont have an accident or problems on the road.

Thanks so much
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Brake rotor warpage is not uncommon, this is due to the extremal high temps created when braking. The warping is a natural reaction of this constant expansion and contraction of the disc's rotor material. If the rotor is with in thickness limits you can have it re machined again, but if you decide to replace it, do both rears as a pair.

MICHAELB4U
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I am trying to determine the correct installation of the new brake shoes on the rear I purchased as to whether the thicker one goes to the front of the car as they are different
Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 AT 9:36 AM (Merged)
The smallest lining always goes toward the front. It's only job is to grab the rotating drum and try to rotate with it. That action, transmitted through the star wheel adjuster or link on the bottom, pushes the bottom of the rear shoe into the drum. The wheel cylinder also pushes the top of the rear shoe into the drum, hence the name "duo-servo" brake. this video will help you

https://youtu.be/-Ts8SRUxRc8

caradiodoc
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. Here is a tutorial on how to remove and replace rear parking brake shoes:.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/parking-brake-shoe-replacement

Here is a You Tube video from our site to view as well:

https://youtu.be/PAjUx1Rct4Q

I've attached picture steps below on how to replace the parking brake shoes on your vehicle. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Thursday, March 18th, 2021 AT 12:31 AM

Sponsored links