Parking brake shoes need to be replaced can I do it myself?

KEMPERDOG
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I set the parking brake last night and this morning, the shoes are grinding.
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 10:46 PM

DANNY L
Here is the information you requested. Here is a tutorial on how to remove and replace rear parking brake shoes:

https://youtu.be/uo1RnATyEok

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/parking-brake-shoe-replacement

I've attached picture steps below on how to replace the brake pads on your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Thursday, March 11th, 2021 AT 11:47 PM
RSTILLSTICKS
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TAHOE
When stepping on parking brake pedal, it does not lock on unless releasing foot off pedal very slowly. Seems like locking mechanism not engaging properly.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 AT 9:58 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

The assembly for the parking brake is the issue. You can try spraying it with lubricant if you wish but my opinion is that you must replace it. I attached a picture of the unit for you to view.

You need to release the parking brake cable from the unit and remove the 3 attaching bolts to remove it.

It is tight under the dash to access.

M.LOUISE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
My SUV had been driving with no problem, no warning lights, no indications of problems. Fine when I parked it on a Monday. Started it up on Wednesday, pulled out of driveway, tried to stop and the pedal went all the way to the floor. Tried to pump the pedal, but no brakes. Pushed the emergency brake on and it went all the way down and did not slow the vehicle at all. Could a bad master cylinder cause the regular brakes and the emergency brake to go out at once?
The parking brake does not use the regular brake's hydraulic system. It is totally mechanical.

The best suspect is the lining rusted off a rear brake shoe and is free to move around. The frame of the shoe will need to move much too far to contact the drum, so it will not allow any pedal pressure to build up. The parking brake moves the same shoes, and with the lining broken free, it also cannot move the shoe far enough to be effective.
+1
BOB KRUGER
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TAHOE
The emergency brake on my vehicle goes all the way to the floor without engaging the brakes. How do I resolve this problem
Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 AT 9:59 AM (Merged)
Two things. First, make sure the rear brake shoes are properly adjusted. Next, under the car you will find the steel brake cables. One will have an adjustment bolt. When you tighten it, it takes the slack from the cable so it works. The only other thing is you may have a broken cable.
RAZULIFISH
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TAHOE
SUV listed above is a Z71. Replaced shoes, caliper, rotor. Bleed brakes. Caliper slides just a little. Started test drive and went about 25 feet and left side parking brake cable tip popped out on back side of wheel. I didn't change anything on the parking brake. Need to get cable tip back in correct position. What do you suggest? I am trying to find a diagram of this, but no luck yet. You helped me before and hope you can help me again. Thanks in advance.
ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

You will need to remove the caliper, rotor again.

Then you will be able to move the lever for the parking brake enough to attach the cable.

I attached a picture for you to view.

RAZULIFISH
I will try and send a picture of my cable, it does not match your diagram and see what you say. Thanks
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, send it when you can.

RAZULIFISH
This is mine. Don't know why it popped out or how to put it back together? It is a z71 4wd if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help.
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, that is what I posted. The cable is around the wrong part of the lever. The lever needs to be install again and the cable end attached on the far side of the lever. As I attached.

RAZULIFISH
Would you know where I can get a diagram and instructions for fixing the parking brake? I have never done one and do not know how to reconnect the cable. Been searching the internet for it. Thanks for your help.
ASEMASTER6371
I have attached 2 pictures. One is for the actuator for the hand brake and one is the rear of the actuator where the lever comes out. That lever needs to be set inside the actuator itself and then the cable attached as I described before. If the lever does not attach then the actuator will have to be replaced.

RAZULIFISH
Thanks for your help! Will give it a go!
ASEMASTER6371
You are welcome.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We are here to help.

PIERREL777
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TAHOE
There is a hot rubber smell near the rear passenger side tire after even short trips. The rotor felt warm so assuming it was faulty caliper I replaced the calipers and pads. The smell is still there. This time I took off the rotors, and the inside was filled with black dust (I assume from the pads) and a small amount of grease. The parking break had clearly been rubbing, and was worn all the way through on one side. Would this be what was producing the hot rubber smell, or is it bad bearings? Before removing the wheel I tried to wiggle it top to bottom and side to side to check the bearing but there was no movement. I've included a picture.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 AT 10:00 AM (Merged)
Can't see the photo. Do I understand you have the parking brake inside the rotor separate from the caliper? It sounds like the parking brake cable is sticking. This is typical for a GM or any car or truck at this age and mileage. If it were a Ford, you would have replaced three cables already!

A leaking axle seal would be the cause of the grease. That can lead to a dragging parking brake shoe and the heat you noticed. First, have a helper work the parking brake and watch that the cable releases on its own. Replace the cable if you have to pry it back.

PIERREL777
The parking brake is separate and inside the rotor drum. We've tried it and the cable seems to be moving fine. We did find a bulletin online that says there is an issue with the parking break rubbing on 99-03 Chevy's. Is the axle seal something that can be easily fixed and needs to be fixed? Or is leaking a standard feature on a vehicle with this mileage? I've tried to upload the photo again, but it didn't work.

Sponsored links