2004 CHEVY TAHOE 4 WHEEL DRIVE SERVICE?

• stoplover
  • 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

2004 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 64000 miles

While driving my 04' 5.3L Tahoe around town in 2 wheel drive I have no problems. Then, once in a while the car on its own switches normally to 4low (4wheel drive low) and my dash reads "service 4x4.&Quot;

I've replaced the "sensor" about 2 years ago at the dealors prompting and now its doing it again. It should be noted that we never use the 4x4 feature either.

I then have trouble getting the car to move back into 2 wheel drive and when I do the 3 buttons (2, 4H, 4L) go dark.

Today when this happened, put it in Neutral and switched it back to 2wheel drive and there was a very loud scraping sound.

That doesn't sound like a sensor. What should I be worried about?

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 1:15 AM

• Jack42

Sounds like something isnt happy. The "Service 4wd" is the computers way of letting you know it is having a problem. Best bet would be to have the system scanned to see what trouble codes are stored in it. Ifit is going into 4wd all by itself, it could be a wheel sensor, but the scraping sounds like the engagement motor on the t-case. Scan it first just to be sure, too many things to just throw parts at them

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 10:31 AM
  • frankg56

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 2:26 PM