CHEVY ENGINE DIED ON THE FREEWAY

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

smcgael3

March, 13, 2010 AT 7:06 PM

2002 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

I was driving down the freeway and the engine just died. I pulled over and tried to crank it and it wont crank over. It's not the battery had that checked. If I let it sit for an hour or so I can start it but then in like 15 seconds it starts to die down and then just shakes and dies. It sounds like as if there isn't gas but there is a half a tank in there. Could it be my fuel pump. Hope someone knows because I need my car! Thanks

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

caradiodoc

March, 13, 2010 AT 9:56 PM

It does sound like the fuel pump is quitting, but there are a few other possibilities. If the Check Engine light turns on while it's running roughly, a diagnostic fault code has been set in the Engine Computer's memory. That code will lead to the circuit or system with the problem, not necessarily the defective part.

When the Check Engine light is turned on, the code(s) is related to something that could adversely affect tail pipe emissions. If the Check Engine light does not come on, there still could be codes in the computer.

The fuel supply system is not monitored by the Engine Computer, so if the Check Engine light didn't turn on, and there are no codes stored in the computer's memory, suspect a fuel delivery problem. If you can hear the pump run when the engine won't start, suspect a plugged pickup screen on the pump assembly. It is common for them to collapse causing them to be blocked, and when the pump is off, they can take a few minutes to relax and allow fuel to flow again.