1999 Chevy Tahoe engine ticking.

HOLLYWOOD SWINGA
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I got a 1999 chey tahoe lt, the engine makes a loud ticking and/or rattling sound when I step on the gas. Is it : 1) Exhaust manifold is bad

2) Blown pistons

3) Main computer is bad

and how much will this cost me
Friday, December 21st, 2007 AT 3:24 PM

LUGNUTTERMAN
Its a rod nock the engine is junk
-1
Friday, December 21st, 2007 AT 3:54 PM
HOLLYWOOD SWINGA
SO YOU MEAN I NEED A NEW ENGINE?
Friday, December 21st, 2007 AT 4:04 PM
PEAR69
Wait a minute! Slow down.
First of all where is the ticking noise coming from? Meaning, the top of the engine or the bottom or the front? When the engine is idleing does it make the same noise? Is the oil low?
Sometimes a ticking sound is just a worn out serpentine belt tention pulley or idler pulley. Or it may be a loose or damaged rocker arm, a bad valve spring, a bad oil pump. What is your oil pressure? If your pistons are blown then smoke will billow out the exaust pipes. Is this happening? If your exaust manifold is broken the noise will be unmistakably loud as if there was no muffler on the exaust pipe and your engine will miss fire realy bad. Is this happening?
Is the check engine light on? When you drive it is there a noticable loss of power? Did you do a compression test on the engine? If so what were the results?

P.S. Do not panic when you hear a loud ticking or rattling sound. Certainly do not change the engine because of this noise until you determine what the noise is, unless, of course, you have a lot of money to throw around. And in that case then why don't ya just buy a new Tahoe. Anyway--I'll be glad to help you with this problem so answer the above questions the best you can and I'll get back to you.
+1
Saturday, December 22nd, 2007 AT 11:34 PM
HOLLYWOOD SWINGA
Thanks for the response I could use really some help.
Here are the answers to a few of your questions:

1. Ticking coming from bottom
2. Ideling there is no noise
3. Oil pressure 40
4. Smoke heavy at start-up, once warm there is no
smoke
5. Check engine light on
6. Yes, noticable loss of power
Monday, December 24th, 2007 AT 1:08 PM
PEAR69
If there is a check engine light on then there is a trouble code stored in the computer. Have your Tahoe scanned. Autozone or a place like that will do this for free. When they scan the engine let me know what the trouble code is.
However, I do not want to miss lead you or give you false hope; but it sounds like there may be a piston ring problem. When the rings wear out, oil passes by them and burns up during the firing of the piston. This causes a whiteish smoke, and you also can tell by black deposits on your spark plugs. Is there any excessive oil consumption or do you have to add oil frequently?
Unfortunatly a piston ring problem requires that the engine must be rebuilt.
Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 AT 1:53 PM