CHEVY

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe

kingpin69

November, 25, 2007 AT 5:54 PM

I have a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.7 4dr 4X4 with 185,000 KM. I have a couple of things to ask you. Just recently, my fuel pump has started to " whine". I was wondering if it should be changed. Also, when taking off, it seems as the engine is running rough but on idle is fine. The tune up was done at 175,000 KM. I've got a feeling it might be the tranny. Do you think transmission fluid flush would help? I also hear some clunking sound when I floor it. I think it is the differential. I don't want to start changing all these parts for nothing. They are too costly for that. I'm hoping you can help me.

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

pear69

November, 25, 2007 AT 9:34 PM

Ok, first-- a whinning fuel pump is normal. The fuel pumps are naturally loud in these Tahoes. Check the fuel pressure. It should be around 66psi. If it's not, change the fuel filter. Check the fuel pressure again. If it's still low, then and only then it may need to be replaced. A word of caution though, changing these fuel pumps usually opens up a bad can of worms.
Second-- what name brand parts did you use when you tuned it up? What did you do when you did the tune up?
Third-- The clunking at your differential could be a few things. Check the U-Joints first. Then check the differential yoke for any play, especialy up and down. The front pinion bearing commonly fails. Any type of problem with the U-Joints or the pinion bearings can easily lead to mis-diagnosis of an engine hesitation or problem as such.
Fourth-- If the transmission fluid and filter have never been changed, then it's probably time for new fluid and a new filter. If the trans. Is not slipping or anything, then the problem you suspect may be something else. Check and fix any or all of the preceeding before blaming the transmission.

This site runs on small or large donations, please try to make one. Thanks