CHEVY SPARE TIRE

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

rblaska

March, 4, 2009 AT 2:01 PM

Tires and Wheels problem
2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

my spare tire will not come down from under truck. There is this " T" lock type thing holding it up when cable is out. How do I get this to release?

Jacobandnickolas

March, 4, 2009 AT 3:33 PM

Is the cable going through the T?

rblaska

March, 4, 2009 AT 5:23 PM

Yes cable extends to the ground. &Quot; T" holds the tire
somehow

Jacobandnickolas

March, 4, 2009 AT 10:20 PM

Hi: If the cable goes through the T, then the T must be rusted or corroded in place because the cable is what actually holds the tire in place not the T. The T is used to prevent the cable from comming off the spare tire. Try taking a brass hammer and tapping on the T to see if it will break loose. Be careful that the tire doesn't fall on you.

Let me know if that works.

rblaska

March, 5, 2009 AT 8:36 AM

The " T" doesn't seem to be rusted. It holds the tire approx. 2 inches lower than fully tight to truck. Tire and " T" move, rotate & swing slightly. Not rusted. I'm hearing that there are catches on long end of " T" that goes up into a latch of sorts. How does this release?

rblaska

March, 9, 2009 AT 8:22 PM

I discovered that if I put a jack under tire while cable is drawn up tight. Holding the weight of the tire, then the cable and " Tee" comes down easily when cranked out, then let the tire down. &Quot; It Worked" but shouldn't be necessary. Thanks for all your help.

kat8982

March, 14, 2009 AT 8:32 AM

Had the same problem one night coming out of a restrurant and findinding my tire flat.
Keep working it up and down, from none use it does stick. It will loosen then spray cable once you get it all the way down.

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Replace Tie Rod End