Tools required for brake job

BABYCOW
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
V8 two wheel drive automatic 66,425 miles.

Hello, I was wondering what wrenches were needed to do a front brake job on my truck? I am replacing pads and rotors. Also, do the back brakes use the same size wrenches? Its a 1500 LS. GM Canadian made.
Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 9:21 AM

QUAGMIRE86
You will need (if it has not changed between 2000 and 2002) a ratchet (preferably a 1/2 drive), a Torx head bit (T-55) and a large "C" clamp to push the pistons back on the calipers. Make sure you have some wire or bungee straps to suspend the calipers (you do not want the weight of the calipers hanging from the rubber brake hoses). If you are changing the emergency brake shoes, there are more tools involved, but I assume that you are just replacing the pads on the front and rear. If the rotors have never been changed before, there will be a "spring-steel" washer/retainer on one or more of your lug nuts that will be holding the rotor in place. If not, the rotors will just pull off by hand.
+15
Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 3:38 PM
XDR-V35
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Brakes problem
2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Did a brake pad change and had one side of the rear drivers rotor turned while doing a brake job. Now the rear brakes are hanging up on both sides enough to heat up the rotors to red hot. What could be causing both sides to do this?
Tuesday, March 19th, 2019 AT 6:54 PM (Merged)
QUAGMIRE86
Make sure that the parking brake shoes are adjusted properly (cranked in) and did you lubricate your pivot pins on the caliper? Otherwise, it may be a piece of foreign material in the "T" junction block on the rear axle (when the pads rub on the rotor and heat up the fluid, the obstruction is not letting the fluid expand past the junction. As more heat builds up, the harder the pads will push on the rotors).