2002 CHEVY SILVERADO ATC FUSE BLOWN

• jsimpsonS8
  • 2002 Chevrolet Silverado

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

Ran truck into snow drift recently, spent half an hour rocking back and forth in 4W-Auto while waiting for tow (never revved past 2500 rpm, didn't really strain anything). Winched me out easily enough, left truck in 4W_auto but put tranny in neutral, only pulled me backwards a few feet to get out of the drift. Since then, no 4WD. No lights on 4WD switches on dash, blown ATC fuse.

A " friend of a friend" hooked up a code reader which reported that it couldn't communicate with the transfer case encoder motor.

Most likely replace the encoder motor?

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 9:17 AM

• racefan966

I need to know if the fuse is good now or if it just blows? Does it blow as soon as you put a new on in or not? Is this an automatic 4x4 system or not and what size truck do you have 1/2 or not and HD or not. Get back to me and we will see what we can find. It may be the 4x4 control module behind the headlight switch instead of the encoder motor so lets do some tests to determine which is bad.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 10:48 AM
  • jsimpsonS8

Yes the ATC fuse is blown, it blows instantly when you insert a new one. Ignition switch is off when replacing fuse, blows instantly. It is the automatic 4x4, with 4 dash buttons. Not an HD truck, just plain 1500.

I should mention that the 4WD fuse is NOT blown (in fuse panel inside the cab).

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 10:58 AM
  • racefan966

First I need you to inspect the orange wires that go from that fuse out to the module and motor. I need you to check to make sure that the wire didn't get damaged and is touching metal. Now if the wire looks good then I would like to you to unplug the encoder motor and see if the fuse still blows. Get back to me and we will go from there.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 11:04 AM
  • jsimpsonS8

I'll look at that over my lunch break - Iowa time here - will get back with you ASAP.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 11:10 AM
  • racefan966

No problem work at your pace.

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 10:05 AM