2001 Chevy Silverado Fan

RJOU319
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The blower for the heating/air conditioning fan does not work on speeds 1 and 2. It only works on settings 3, 4 and 5. I've pulled the switch and checked the wiring hraness and haven't found any obvious cause. Should I buy a new switch and hope that solves the problem?

Thank you for the prompt replies. I could check the voltage if I had a clue how to go about it, but I must admit that isn't something I'm familiar with. A co-worker suggested the resistor as well, however, I'm having trouble locating it. Any help with either of these dilemmas would be appreciated.
Friday, November 13th, 2009 AT 12:27 PM

SHOVELHEAD JIMMY
On the heater box under the hood there is a blower motor switch, that was the problem with mine
Friday, November 13th, 2009 AT 12:33 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_silverado_heater_1.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I'd check voltage on the circuits at different speeds. If voltage is ok, I suspect the resistor assembly.
Friday, November 13th, 2009 AT 12:41 PM
RJOU319
Probably should have posted follow-up here. I'm not real clear on how to measure the voltage, but a co-worked mentioned the resistor assembly as well. I'm having a little trouble locating it though. Any help on either problems would be appreciated.
Thursday, November 19th, 2009 AT 11:36 PM
You can use a testlite on the wires for the blower speeds. In the diagram you have one wiring color for each speed, take the connector loose from resistor assembly. key on, havc turned on, switch through the speeds, while you use a testlite at the proper wiring color at connector. If everything is hot, probably ok up to that point.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_silverado_blower_resistor_1.jpg

The resistor assembly is under passenger side of dash, number 5 in the picture.
Friday, November 20th, 2009 AT 9:11 AM