Odometer wont light up

JBUCKLEY
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

V8 four wheel drive automatic.

I recently purchased a Z-71 from a trusted dealership, today (day two) the odometer seemed to just "go out" will not light up. I looked at fuses and everything, tried turning truck off and on several times and nothing. I have no idea when my next oil change will happen or if I am in the right gear for driving.

Wednesday, August 13th, 2008 AT 9:42 PM

JETSA

There is a fuse titled "Ign1" in the fuse block in the left side of the dash. If that fuse is good, you need a new or replacement instrument cluster. Not uncommon.

+3
Wednesday, August 13th, 2008 AT 10:17 PM
DURAMAX2003

V8 four wheel drive automatic.

I have had the same problem a few years ago and spent over $500.00 trying to figure it out and finally I found a service advisory from Chevrolet that the batteries need to be replaced when the gauge cluster just goes out. A good way to check is to remove the insulation blanket from the battery and look to see if the battery is swollen or bulging on the sides. I replaced the batteries and have not have the problem again.

+2
Thursday, August 14th, 2008 AT 3:35 PM
KLP888

I have the same problem with just the odometer and drive selector being out on my 1999 Silverado. I have yet to find a solution and I have checked the fuses. Another user suggested changing the battery but I am not sure how that would help?

Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008 AT 7:02 PM
V8MGBV8

Fixed this problem on my 2000 Silverado after a year of intermittent and a year of not working. Traced it to a bad solder joint on the underside of the odometer display. Probably the same issue for most of these.

+8
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 3:09 PM
CLCNEW

The previous poster was correct, there is a weak solder point inside the cluster, I have created a website dedicated to fixing the problem since I could not find a solution anywhere on the net. I am sure the problem is basically universal across the board for most of the trucks involved. Thanks

+9
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 1:24 PM