2000 CHEVY SILVERADO INSTRUMENT PANEL

• raptor13
  • 2000 Chevrolet Silverado

2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 151000 miles

Recently my instrument cluster started acting weird. It will be fine and then hit a bump or vibration and the gauges go wild. Speedometer goes up and down, others jump around. This happens for a little while and then they straighten up until a bump is hit again. What's wrong? Short or cluster bad?

Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 8:56 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

It sounds like the cluster is bad. Check with your local Chevrolet dealer. I believe there is a technical service bulletin regarding this problem. I don't think it is a recall.

Let me know what you find.

+1
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:55 AM
  • raptor13

I went through TSB on-line at Edmunds and found nothing. Is there another source to go through? Why does it correct itself? When the truck is stationary there is not problem.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:54 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

There have been many problems with them. The best thing to do and it is free is to call a dealer. They have the most updated information available.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:04 AM
  • dcamaro

I had a problem with my dash(the gauges were all over the place) I found it was the cluster ground wire broken at the back of the right engine head. I simply re-grounded it at an other location. This wire quite often breaks from age or does not get bolted back on if there is head work done as it is tought to get at and even harder to see. Reach down behind the head and feel around to find the bolt with a wire eyelet on the head and one or two black wires.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:41 PM
  • raptor13

How hard is the ground wire to find? Are you talking about the engine block when you call at the head?

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 9:51 PM
  • dcamaro

The ground wiire for the dash comes from the dash plug, through the firewall on the left side and over to the right side behnd the engine. It is connected to the back of the engine head. You probably wont be able to see it, but if you put your hand between the firewall and the head you should be able to find the wires. I dont why the dash is grounded to the engine, and of all places here, but I just connected a piece of wire and ran it to the front of the engine and grounded it to the block.

+2
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 11:02 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

THe ground requirements are high for the cluster. Other than going directly to the battery, the engine block has the best ground.

+1
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:20 PM
  • raptor13

Traced wires out of the firewall but didn't see the ground. Will it be black? When I find it can I take it straight to the battery?

+2
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 6:25 PM
  • dcamaro

If I remember correctly there are two black wires which break out of the harness and are about 8 inches long. Jacobandnickolas, said that you could ground them to the battery.

+1
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 10:53 PM
  • bcutter65

This worked for me. Wires are in a plastic sheath and were just hanging there. Added a length of wire and a connector and grounded to an easily accessible bolt. Bingo! All gauges now working properly

Saturday, July 11th, 2015 AT 1:10 PM