Instrument Panel

RAPTOR13
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Recently my instrument cluster started acting weird. It will be fine and then hit a bump or vibration and the gauges go wild. Speedometer goes up and down, others jump around. This happens for a little while and then they straighten up until a bump is hit again. What's wrong? Short or cluster bad?
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 8:56 PM

It sounds like the cluster is bad you can send it out to have it rebuilt here is a video showing you how to remove the cluster. This is common problem.

https://youtu.be/_HEC44xENxw

Let me know what you find. Joe
+3
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:55 AM
RAPTOR13
I went through TSB on-line and found nothing. Is there another source to go through? Why does it correct itself? When the truck is stationary there is not problem.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:54 AM
There have been many problems with them and its because there is no vibration and no VSS sensor input.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:04 AM
DCAMARO
I had a problem with my dash(the gauges were all over the place) I found it was the cluster ground wire broken at the back of the right engine head. I simply re-grounded it at an other location. This wire quite often breaks from age or does not get bolted back on if there is head work done as it is tought to get at and even harder to see. Reach down behind the head and feel around to find the bolt with a wire eyelet on the head and one or two black wires.
+5
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:41 PM
RAPTOR13
How hard is the ground wire to find? Are you talking about the engine block when you call at the head?
+1
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 9:51 PM
DCAMARO
The ground wiire for the dash comes from the dash plug, through the firewall on the left side and over to the right side behnd the engine. It is connected to the back of the engine head. You probably wont be able to see it, but if you put your hand between the firewall and the head you should be able to find the wires. I dont why the dash is grounded to the engine, and of all places here, but I just connected a piece of wire and ran it to the front of the engine and grounded it to the block.
+7
Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 11:02 PM
THe ground requirements are high for the cluster. Other than going directly to the battery, the engine block has the best ground.
+4
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:20 PM
RAPTOR13
Traced wires out of the firewall but didn't see the ground. Will it be black? When I find it can I take it straight to the battery?
+3
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 6:25 PM
DCAMARO
If I remember correctly there are two black wires which break out of the harness and are about 8 inches long. Jacobandnickolas, said that you could ground them to the battery.
+4
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 10:53 PM
BCUTTER65
This worked for me. Wires are in a plastic sheath and were just hanging there. Added a length of wire and a connector and grounded to an easily accessible bolt. Bingo! All gauges now working properly
+1
Saturday, July 11th, 2015 AT 1:10 PM
CHRISARICE
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2000, 6.0 liter engine, Silverado HD 2500 4x4 with about 135K miles. I jumped one of my older vehicles (which I have done in the past) with my truck with no issues and later in the day when I went to drive my Silverado I noticed that the speedometer was pegged out at the far right 110 mph when the truck was shut off. I started the truck and it drove fine, but the speedometer didn't move, it stayed at the 110 mark. Could this be my Vehilce Speed Sensor (VSS) or a fuse issue (couldn't locate one specifically for the speedometer). I check the fuses and they were fine, but I did not check the fuses under the dash by the brake pedal. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Monday, October 29th, 2018 AT 7:06 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
IF the speed sensor was bad, I would expect that a transmission fault and check engine light would show.

I am more inclined to think that a wiring issue or cluster problem is happening. This is what Mitchell shows. I can provide a wiring diagram or other information if it will help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_speedo_2.jpg

LJTHEWONDER
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The speedometer needle is stuck all the way over to the 100 mph after I put in a new battery. How do I fix this?
STEVE931
Chevy had several recalls on speedometer and speed sensor problems. Most of these are repaired at no charge to the customer. Check w/dealer make sure he shows you the recall so you want be charged.(Not that a car dealer would ever hide something the factory is paying far and charge the customer so they can get paid twice) 8)
ATOWNEAGLES
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 128xxx miles

I just switched my head units from the guy I bought my truck from first off. Now when I went out to my truck this morning the gear selector was not illuminated, the message window box did not come on, the rpms, nor speedometer completely didn't work. The gas seemed a little off from before also like a 1/4 tank less than what I'm pretty much positive it read before. When I installed no sparks or anything didn't hear anything pop either. I checked the ign1 fuse and the radio fuse, and cruise fuse as in the manual it said the instrument panel was linked to these. None of those are gone at all. The radio works and everything just fine. Trying to figure this problem out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jordan
CHRITTERS
Hey Jordon I too have a 2000 silverado 4X4 and my gauge is acting up as well only My Check engine light keeps coming on along with the abs Light and Seatbelt light then they go off and then sometimes the Low Coolent light comes on, Anyone else have this problem?? Is that the cluster causing this and is it a concern?

Jordon did you get your problem rectafied??
Chris

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192971_Left_side_of_Chris_Silverado_1.jpg

TRAVISCHEVY90@AOL.COM
Mine is the same thing! Speedo, rpm, message thing, gas. All the same
DARRYLHD
Had a problem where the dash would flicker on &off. Found that the dash was grounded to the right head at the back. These two wires were broken.
RACKHUNTERS
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Well my speedometer is actin up the problem is that it will read you doing 120 mph while actually you are going 55 mph the gauge will also not return to 0 or drop below 55. It will decrease a little apon breaking but the problem persists with the reading a higher speed and it just goes till it pegs out at the bottom of the gauge and it stays in its latest position when you shut the truck off, but when you crank the truck up it jumps down 5 mph the speedometer never returns to normal function and im not sure what is causing this I would apprieciate it if y'all could help me
Have the vehicle speed sensor tested. I would say either it is bad or the cluster itself.
-1