1999 Chevy Silverado bucks and surges and stalls

MAEMILE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I work at a lg chevy dlr and therefore feel weird as oking for help here but they have been chasing this problem for a month and it is costing me a fortune in guesses. They just repl my intake man gskt due to leaking and overheating. Since then my truck will surge and buck and has died on 2 occassions. It only happens sometimes. We have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Yesterday while acting up it set the ck eng lite and the code was mass air flow sensor which we replaced and still messed up. Is there something that could have been loosened or a wire pinched when the intake was done?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 6:56 AM

WRENCHTECH
This may sound foolish but have they check it over carefully for any intake snorkels or breather tubes that may be left off or leaking? Have you tried cleaning the MAF.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 7:28 AM
02REDCAMARO
I would try replacing the coil, or coils. I had a similar problem with an '02 V6 camaro. The cat converter went bad, causing engine and underhood temps to rise. Once warned up, the engine misfired, hesitated like you wouldn't believe. I replaced the MAF, plugs, wires, filters, and fluids. After I replaced the converter, I still had the problem. Problem went away after I replaced 2 out of the 3 ignition coils. The computer won't tell you if the coils are bad, no trouble codes for that, only 'misfire'. Could be ignition module, but I would go for that last. Coils can be cheap on ebay, that's where I got mine. Also check all wiring to the ignition module and coil(s). Also check crank trigger sensor, especially if it is the type that bolts onto the frame and it is a rod that points to the harmonic balancer. If it is damaged, your ignition system is junk.
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 2:51 PM
WRENCHTECH
While coils are a common cause of misfire on DIS ignitions systems, they are not with distributor ignition.
I wouldn't recommend throwing any more parts at it or buying anything from E-Bay. Most of it is Chinese junk that didn't sell at the flea market.
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 3:05 PM
02REDCAMARO
Au contraire, mein fruend,

I had a '96 Cheyene (Silverado) with a coil problem.
Turns out there was a wire that was fraying that was going to the coil (I suspect a signaling lead) that was causing my engine to die when I took a hard turn. It had a distributor and a single coil. True, the coil itself wasn't bad, but it was part of the ignition system.

I just bought 3 new coils for my '02 V6 Camaro, I've had them on for about 3 months, and they have worked flawlessly so far. I know that my original coils barely lasted 80,000 miles, which I think is a JOKE in this century. I didn't see anything on these coils that suggested it was built in China, but anything is possible. Even HD gets stuff made there now, I'm sorry to say. What can you do?
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 6:42 PM
WRENCHTECH
So, how in your mind does a frayed wire translate into replacing coils to fix that problem. As I said, a single coil isn't going to cause a misfire. PS, the issue you were having was a breakdown of the primary ignition signal and not actually what is considered a misfire.
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 6:49 PM
02REDCAMARO
What I'm saying is that I think it is possible that you have some kind of coil-related problem. If you have a single coil, then I would focus on any connections to that coil if it is a misfire. That could be primary signal lead, wire to distributor, distributor cap, rotor,
perhaps even ignition module. If you have a multiple coil system, one or more coils could go bad (as in my case), causing misfires (trouble codes said misfire).
Could be plug wires or plugs, they would be easy and cheap to try first. The computer, unfortunately,
isn't very good at focusing a misfire problem towards an individual component.
Thursday, August 26th, 2010 AT 1:21 AM