1997 Chevy Silverado steering wheel gets hard

EDGARANDRES
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hello. When I try to turn the wheels right or left, while pressing the brake, (like parking it) the reliesse valve ramains open, the fluid goes by the return hose, and steering wheel gets very hard.
i replaced the reliesse valve, the pump rotor, the hydroboost, the torsion bar, and still the same.
why relesse valve keeps open that easy?
what else can y do?
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 5:45 PM

JACK42
Makes me wonder if a hose is falling apart internally causing the pressure problem. Dont see the steering box doing that if it works when your off the brake. Sounds like you have replaced everything else that could do it (normally)
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 7:25 AM
EDGARANDRES
Hi jack thanks for reply.
I already check the hoses and they are ok. Do you think that I could replace the relesse valve spring for a harder one? Ill try it. Talk to you soon. Bye. :Wink:
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 7:48 AM
JACK42
Shouldnt have to do any mods to make the system work
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 11:26 AM
THE FACTORY MAN
It is normal to have increased steering effort if you are turning the steering wheel from lock to lock with the brakes applied!
+1
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 1:36 PM
EDGARANDRES
Thanks for reply. You are right, after a new checking, the thing is that the relesse valve remains open all the time, even at idle, and the fluid goes by the return hose. And after 2500 rpm the pump starts to make noise. (All of the named parts are new, and steering fluid level is ok.)Thanks.
Edgar.
+1
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 4:59 PM
JACK42
Maybe somehting in the box is creating the problem. Hate to just throw parts at it, but you have done everything but the box
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 7:53 AM
THE FACTORY MAN
With your brake applied the road wheel can't rotate as the steering wheel is turned. The wheel wants to rotate just a little because of the wheel alignment angles. When the wheel can't rotate it takes additional effort at the steering wheel. Try another vehicle like yours. Without being there to experience your condition I think you may be trying to fix a normal condition.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 8:51 AM