1996 Chevrolet Silverado power steering fluid leak

JOE1953
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • RWD
I have to add power steering fluid every time I drive this truck I don't know where the leak is coming from can you tell me where to look how do I find the leak?
Friday, September 5th, 2014 AT 5:21 PM

If it's leaking that fast, it's going to be real easy to find. You most likely have a mess under there now, so start by washing the area with engine degreaser, then, when it's dry, start the engine and look at the hoses first. The common places to find leaks are the high-pressure hose, the front seal on the pump, then the accordion boots on the rack and pinion assembly. Even without washing everything, you can slide the small clamp off one of the accordion boots, then use a small pick or screwdriver to pull the end of the boot open. If power steering fluid runs out, replace the rack and pinion steering gear and have the car aligned.
+1
Friday, September 5th, 2014 AT 5:32 PM
JOE1953
How do I tell what type of system I have to get the correct high-pressure hose will it be the hydro-booster or conv (etc.)
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 11:36 AM
I seem to have lost my mind. I'm sure I answered this question for a Ford car, and here I see you have a GM truck. You don't have a rack and pinion steering gear. You have a "recirculating ball" gearbox. The hydro-boost brake booster was available but that was designed mainly for use with diesel engines. If you have fluid leakage between that unit and the brake master cylinder, you have a potential major disaster, but you haven't said anything so far to point to that. You can look up the power brake boosters on the Rock Auto web site and look at a picture of the hydro-boost unit and the standard vacuum booster. They'll show the hoses too that you can compare yours to.
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 6:26 PM
JOE1953
The high pressure hose is leaking, once I replace the hose and fill with fluid what is the next step?
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 11:37 PM
Start the engine, shift into "drive", and buzz off into the sunset.

You might also want to wash the area, and check the fluid level in a day or two.
+1
Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 12:36 AM
JOE1953
I don't understand what you mean about buzz off into the sunset explain?
-2
Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 12:46 AM
Go out and drive it, and have a good time.
+1
Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 12:47 AM