1996 Chevy Silverado Ignition Switch

JJREBHOLZ
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The ignition switch is bad on my truck. It works sometimes and not others. If I slip a screw driver in the back side of it, it will work everytime. Is there a possibility there could be some corrosion and I can get it apart and clean it up or should I go ahead and replace it. Also do I have to drop the column down and take the steering wheel off to get the switch off.
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 8:22 AM

MATHIASO
The ignition switch need to be replace, because there will be some day when it will stop working and that day could be anytime and anywhere.
Is it c/k series?
IF YES FOLLOW INSTRUCTION BELOW.
IF NO LET ME KNOW WICH ONE YOU HAVE .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0900c1528008f609_1.jpg

Remove the column shroud halves.
Remove the column-to-dash attaching bolts and slowly lower the steering column, making sure that it is supported.
Remove the multi function switch if necessary.
Remove the key alarm switch, if equipped by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip with a small screwdriver. Rotate the alarm switch 1 / 4 in. turn and remove
Make sure that the switch is in the Lock position. If the lock cylinder is out, pull the switch rod up to the stop, then go down one detent.
Disconnect the actuating rod from the switch.
Remove the two screws and the switch

To install:

Before installation, make sure the switch is in the Lock position.
Attach the actuating rod to the switch.
Install the switch using the original screws. Tighten the screws to 12 inch. lbs. (1.4 Nm).
Install the key alarm switch, if equipped . Make sure the retaining clip is parallel to the lock cylinder. Rotate the alarm switch 1 / 4 in. turn until locked in place.
Install the multi function switch if removed
Replace the column. Tighten the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm); the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
Install the column shroud halves.
IF THERE IS ALARM, FOLLOW THIS:
Exploded view of the alarm switch removal

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0900c1528008f60a_1.jpg

-1
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 9:06 PM