CHEVY A/C SERVICE

1995 Chevrolet Silverado

BD700DOM

July, 3, 2007 AT 8:33 PM

I have a 1995 Chevy Pickup with the 4.3 Liter V-6 with over 225,000. My compressor started making noise so I decided to replace it before if failed. I figured I got my moneys worth out of it with 12 years of service.

Anyway, I had the system evacuated prior to starting the work and then changed the compressor, accumulator and the rubber manifold lines.

When I took the truck to a shop to be re-evacuated and the initial freon/oil charge done they wanted over $370.00 saying that the compressor and accumulator both needed to be removed to service thier oil levels?

Can you please tell me the proceedure and how to add the correct amount of oil to these new parts before I take it back to have the freon charged. Where can I find the information on the correct amounts of oil? My handy repiar manual is somewhat lacking when it comes to A/C Service.

Any hints and or tips on this job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Robert

Jack42

July, 5, 2007 AT 8:17 AM

Depends on where you got your compressor. Some reman units come with a certain amount of oil already in them. Normally the old comp would be drained and the amount of oil measured. Depending on the amount required for your system, would be determined from how much you drained back out. There is a link at the bottom of the main forum page to Mitchell-On-Demand, same software pro's use, has more info than the average manual you can buy. All info you are looking for will be in there

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe