Coolant leak

C.BORDEN
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When the engine is turned off there's a loud hissing sound coming from under the hood. My coolant is also leaking I think its from behind the motor but it only leaks when the truck is accelerating. At a stand still their is no leak whatso ever. Please help!
Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 10:51 PM

Have you checked the heater core hoses to see if that is where the leak is coming from?
Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM
C.BORDEN
Idont kno anything about cars let alone trucks.I'm learning as problems accure but I wouldnt know where to start.
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 2:18 PM
The hoses will go from the engine to the firewall where they attach to the heater core. They are aprox 1" in diameter. Let me know if you can find them.
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 AT 10:00 PM
SARCASMO
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1993 Chev. Silverado. I had an antifreeze leak and changed the rad hose. It is still leaking ONTO the new hose. Where could it be coming from?
Tuesday, July 7th, 2020 AT 1:33 PM (Merged)
I don't know which hose you replaced. However, check the water pump to see if there is a leak from the weep hole that may be hitting the belt and spraying on to the hose. Make sure all hoses are in good condition and tight.
DJWINSLADE
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My question is my truck started to leak anti freeze out the bottom by my radiator.I cant tell were the leak is coming from?The truck will heat a little but when I but my hand on the top hose its cold?Plus I can touch the top of the radiator cap, and it is also cold when the truck is running and warm?Do you have any idea whats wrong?
OBXAUTOMEDIC

The leak can be coming from anywhere on the radiator to include the lower hose at the connection. If it the original radiator I would say it is time to change it.

The top hose and the radiator cap being cool or colcan indicate a stuck closed thermostat. Looking at the temp gauge before your problem were did the needle run and now were does it run. Also what is the outside temp were you live. This could be why it does not overheat.

.
LANE34
  • 1991 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1991 chevy pickup with a 5.7 engine. I bought it used at 85000 miles, since I owned it, it had a small leak of coolent that just sat on my intake manifold, I used stop leak and the problem went away. My thermastat stuck awile back and the engine went to the red zone when I was driving home one day, I stoped right away and let it cool, started again and made it home. It was hot awile but I did not think it was serious. Fixed themastat and drove it again. Now my problem is that water is leaking into my oil. It will leak about a gallon every 20 miles. Bad deal. I just took off my intake manifold and noticed that it was not a factory gasket, the gasket was not really in the perfect place. So before I go about taking off my heads and checking the head gasket and sending them in to get fixed, and spending more money. I was wondering if the intake gasket could be the problem? If that was common? And if it could leak that much coolant? Thanks for the help it would save me time and money.
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

I don't think that this will be your problem, but saying that if it is a faulty fit, I would replace it first and test it out, it will only cost a gasket and some time to find out.

TBARTON
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck is running so rough, when its really cold outside I have to sit in the truck for about 20 min keepin on the gas before she'll run by herself? My big curiosity is that Im leaking ALOT of oil, @ least I got under & it looks like the oil pan @ one time was patched & is leaking from there, but I just filled truck w/antifreeze last week (give or take few days) & last night it took another gallon of coolant? But no visible leak under truck? Where the heck is it going? Also, my truck backfires every start until it warms up, & black smoke & stuff blowing all over ground from exhaust? I think I have got more problems than I want to tackle, but its my only rig for now, have any suggestions? Other than getting rid of her! Hahaha Thanks Tina
2CEXPT
1. Antifeeze disappearing and no actual leak sounds like its burning up in the combustion chamber. Get it block and pressure tested to rule out the headgasket/cracked head/block. Do you have coolant in oil and oil in coolant

2. Oil leak best fix that real quickie or its gonna end up locking the engine when it runs dries

3. Get the fuel pressure check and the idle air control valve, CTS/TPS/MAF/MAP sensors

Sponsored links