MISSFIRES ON #5 CYLINDER AT IDLE AND HAVE A COOLANT LEAK AT FRONT OF THE ENGINE AT THE TOP.

1996 Chevrolet Silverado

joe1953

December, 28, 2011 AT 9:24 PM

I have a missfire on #5 cylinder at idle but when drivering it don't miss I want to no why it miss at idle? And where the coolant leak comeing from?

rivermikerat

December, 28, 2011 AT 9:32 PM

It probably does miss while driving, but happens so quickly you can't feel it. Bad wire, bad connection, wire shorting to manifold, bad compression.

Go and buy some cooling system leak detector dye and pour it into the system. The kit should come with a black light. Run the engine for about 30 minutes and use the included black light to look for the source of the leak.

The top of the engine on a Silverado is pretty big. The coolant could be leaking from the hose, thermostat housing, water pump, the intake, the block.

joe1953

December, 28, 2011 AT 9:50 PM

The wires and plugs or good and it have 195 pound of compression in #5 cylinder I don't see no hose leaking water pump not leaking look like it comeing from the front of the intake I am not sure.

rivermikerat

December, 28, 2011 AT 11:44 PM

Follow the upper radiator hose to where it connects to a black metal tube behind the alternator. Follow the metal tube down to the engine. This is the thermostat housing. Is that where the leak is? If not, you'll have to either rent or borrow a pressure system tester from someplace like Autozone, Pep Boys, or Advanced and pressure test the system, or buy the leak detector kit I mentioned.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet