Brake lights dont work

CARLJ1993
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I checked with a voltmeter. I have current going to the lights. Current travels through the switch. I checked the fuses under the steering wheel in the box next to the hood release. Is there another fuse I need to check? And there is no power going to the brakeswitch. I have broke my turn signals where they work if I hold it. They will work to the left. But idk if the brake lights have a short before the switch or if there is another fuse to check or what? Any advice?
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 1:35 PM

Inspect and test the turn and hazard switch
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 1:40 PM
CARLJ1993
Yeah I did and the tail lights come on and the front parking lights. But when I turn the flasher on 3 corners flash except the back right and I rechecked the bulb but its good.
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 6:01 PM
1989 Chevy Silverado Brake lights dont work

Check and test the brake switch if okay test the turn/hazard switch the brake circuit goes thru this switch before it gets back there to the lights
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 6:54 PM
CARLJ1993
[quote="rasmataz"]1989 Chevy Silverado Brake lights dont work

Did that too buddy brake switch is working fine
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 7:03 PM
BADMOFO
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Brakes problem
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Recently found out my brake lights don't light up when I brake. I checked bulbs and there ok. Replaced flasher fuse, brake switch, checked fuses, there ok. It puzzles me that bakes turn on only when fuse is in and I'm not even pressing the brakes. Have to pull out fuse so they turn off. Also emergancy lidht wont blink. Have any ideas?
Saturday, October 27th, 2018 AT 11:12 AM (Merged)
Hello, do the turn signals work ok, front and back? The turn and brake use the same bulb filament, just not at the same time. They are wired through the turn switch.

Also check the feed from the brake switch, white wire, that wire should not be hot, unless the switch is activated. Maybe it needs adjustment, where applicable.

I just wanted to add, high-mount brake lites, where used, are usually wired differently than the lower brake lites.
WINTERCOLD
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hello-

I have a 1989 Silverado c/k 1500. Before I press in the parking lights and or head lights to the left of the steering wheel, all is fine. Once I turn either of those lights on, the brake lights no longer function and the rear parking lights do not turn on. So at night, no one can see my tail lights. But the blinkers in the rear still work, and the emergency lights. The front head lights work fine as do the front parking lights. All lights on the dash function properly. I have a trailer hook up and when I hook the trailer up all is fine with it. Its parking lights work, as do the the brakes, when the trucks lights are turned on. They work, while the trucks rear brakes lights and parking lights do not.

The trailer hook up has a ground to the frame under the bed as well. There is also another ground before it is split to the trailer wiring. Both look ok. Two days ago I replaced the rear circuit boards and all lights. Both of the blinkers blink fast and have so since I bought this truck. Even after replacing the circuit boards and lights they blink rapidly. I am not concerned with this, but wonder if there is some relationship there, although as mentioned, they work when the park lights are on.

I am not sure if there was a tail light issue before the trailer hitch was added.

A friend suggested replacing the parking/head light switch, which I did yesterday, to no avail. Any suggestions?
Check the ground at the lh rear frame rail, it's probably broken or corroded. If this was ok prior to trailer hook up then it's due to that hook up. But from your description it sounds like the ground is bad at rear of frame. Also check that the battery to body ground is hooked up by battery and engine to body ground that goes from back of cyl head on right side to body. It cold also be due to trailer hook up the flasher was replaced to a heavier duty one making the flashers go fast when trailer is not hooked up.
WINTERCOLD
I thoroughly cleaned the grounds in the rear and the lights worked.

Thank you
PTINCHER
  • 1985 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1985 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have replaced bulbs, and brake pedal switch, and checked the fuses in my truck and still have no brake lights. All other lights are working flashers, park and reverse. What can be causing my brake lights not to work?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Believe the brake lamps go through the turn signal switch as well. Could be faulty signal switch causing brake lights to be inoperative.
-2
CYCOJC
  • 1983 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 83 silverado and the brake lights dont come on when I press on the brake pedal. Bulbs and fuses are good. Lights dont come on even with the stop lamp switch button depressed. Any advice?
The orange wire supplies voltage to the brake switch, should be hot all the time, is it? When the brake switch is activated the white wire goes hot, any voltage anywhere, use a voltage tester.
+2
WRENCHTECH
You will have to use a test light to determine that power is coming into the switch all the time and coming back out when the brake is applied. If that is working properly, then you could have a problem with the turn signal switch. The brake lights pass through it so the turn signals can cancel out the brake lights when necessary.
+1
LMAN5665
  • 1988 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
How do I correct the following problem, my brake lights (and rear turn signals) are dim, yet my taillights when headlights on are very bright so when headlights are on I essentially have no brake lights and during day brake and turn signals are tough to see. Seems to me like the brake and taillights are switched. How do I fix?
Hello, your lower brake lites and turn signal, use the same bulb filament at the rear, just not at the same time. They are wire through the turn switch. Your tail-lites are on a different circuit.

The yellow wire at the left rear bulb socket is for brake or left turn. I'd have to check the actual voltage reading, at the back then at the front. At the front, the wiring harness under the dash that goes into the steering column, look for yellow wire, hopefully there is only one, that should be the same wire that goes to the rear. Check the voltage reading on that one also, with the brakes or turn activated.
-1
LMAN5665
What about the extremely bright tail lights?
I can't tell from here, what is too bright? The tail lites are wired through the headlamp switch.
LMAN5665
Sorry, hard to explain without you being able to see them, but the tail lights are extremely brighter than normal. They look like the brake lights should. It's weird, almost like whoever owned this truck before me tried to do some wiring and somehow messed up the wiring under the dash so that the brake and tail lights are reversed.I pulled the tail light off on the truck and put a meter on each wire on the harness at the rear with the headlights on, then turn signals, then brakes. Same wires were energized with all three. Is that how it should be?
JASON RUSSELL
  • 1988 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1988 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

my rear tail lights work and the blubs are good but the brakes and blinkers won't come on