2002 Chevy S-10 clunk sound shifting into 4

SHADOW719
  • 2002 CHEVROLET S-10
When I push the 4 HI button a few seconds later I get a loud clunk that sounds like it is coming from the rear end. There is no problem shifting back to 2HI. I tried shifting into 4 hi while the the truck was under strain of a bad sandy road and again when I was on a smooth road for comparison. Both times I got the loud clunk once I pushed the 4 HI button. Driving around in 2 hi I have no problem. I've changed the front and rear Differential fluid, transfer case fluid and transmission fluid. Any help would be appreciated.
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 10:45 PM

DE772601
Hello well a transfer case will make that sound also when going into 2wd and 4wd those gears inside after a period of time get some slack in them causing a loud clunk noise that seems like it is coming from the rear end. Check the fluid in the transfer case and try not to put the truck in 4wd at a high speed this is hard on it. I hope this will help you out.
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 8:21 PM