CHEVY ENGINE STALLS POSSIBLY ELECTRICAL

2001 Chevrolet S-10

csjwus

July, 13, 2008 AT 3:39 PM

2001 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My truck will go approximately 20 miles before it dies. I push on the gas and the truck bogs down and stalls. The battery is completely drained and once I charge it back up the truck will start again to go about 20 miles. The alternator is too hot to touch. Alternator and battery have both tested good. I have checked the fuses and all seem to be in working order. Fuel pump and battery cables have just been replaced. I am at a loss. Do you have any suggestions?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

merlin2021

July, 13, 2008 AT 4:01 PM

Get an analog voltmeter remove the negative battery cable, attach the Black lead to the battery post, Red lead to cable end, then pull fuses one at a time, make sure there are no accessories or lights in the on position, Key off! Close the door after each fuse and check meter, when you pull the fuse for the bad curcuit, the meter will drop to 1 volt or so. Check all fuses, even under the hood. If meter does not drop, remove the battery connection from the alternator, if it drops now, the diodes are bad in the alternator. Put the fuse back in were it goes as you go so you don't forget which fuse goes were!