2001 Chevy S-10 Again, no heat, but plenty of A/C

EMTJDUB
  • 2001 CHEVROLET S-10
Alright, the last problem I was having with my truck was that I was not getting any heat at all from the vents. I flushed the system and it worked for a little while. Now what I'm noticing is that when I turn the heat on in my truck it kicks out COLD air, like A/C cold. The other day I popped the hood an noticed that the A/C compressor is engaged when I have the heat on. I'm confused my that one! Also my windshield tends to fog up when I'm driving in the moring. Any suggestions?
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 7:16 AM

WINEBURGER
Its normal to have the ac on in defrost mode. Pressure test the coolant system to insure that your heater core is not leaking causing the fog on your windshield. Check the hose going into the heater core they warm evenly as the engine warms
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 8:32 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you can you tell me the size or your engine in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Okay.........do me a favor.............once the truck is at operating temperature check the heater hoses going into the firewall..........are they both hot.......the same temp or is one hot and the other cold.

Next some of the common conditions for insufficient heating are as follows:

1. A leak in the cooling system.
2. A low coolant level.
3. A loose or worn drive belt.
4. A leaking or kinked heater hose.
5. A cracked or missing radiator cap seal.
6. A stuck thermostat
7. Temperature valve position

As for the windshield fogging..........on the pic below.........many times our windshield fogs because we don't have outside air coming in.......therefore the inside air that is being blown (or not) fogs the windows.........there has to be air circulating..........

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_175.jpg

Depending on the outside temp and the inside of your car........lets say it is raining outside and hot..........you turn your AC on and the windows fog..........make sure it isn't on MAX A/C, number 3 arrow as your vent is closed off and you are not getting any outside air. You need to have it on number 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Then your temp control number 2 is on full cold.

If it is a little cool out or cold I guess make sure you have the temp control on whatever you need but the selector needs to be on again, 4,5,6,7,8. I say 4 because you will still get warm air though this selection still pulls outside air in..........

Try the above and let me know..............

For the heat.........please check to make sure your coolant is full.........replace the radiator cap, make sure your belt is properly tight and check the hoses as I asked and let me know.
Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 8:39 AM