CHEVY PINION SEAL

2000 Chevrolet S-10

bigfoot55

April, 5, 2009 AT 5:50 PM

2000 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 46500 miles

Took vehicle to Meineke for oil change and tire rotation and told I need Pinion seal (rear) & front shocks. The man showed me how oil was leaking around the shocks and the pinion (rear end). I have never noticed any oil leak on my garage floor or driveway (except when I got home from shop) before. The vehicle does not bounce it drives smooth. Please advise me of the warning signs of a bad pinion and bad front shocks. The vehicle has never showned a oil leak, but after 3 hours of sitting I did noticed a small drop at the front, and today 3 small drops from the rear.

rhall77

April, 6, 2009 AT 2:29 PM

Try bouncing the front of the truck a few time and see how much it rebounds back. If it does it more than 2 time I would suggest shocks. Also if the shocks are leaking fluid then would also need replacing. As for the pinion seal, is it leaking bad. Does it have fresh oil dripping down? If it does I would suggest replacing it

Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Axle Seal Replacement