AXEL NUT ON THE END OF THE SPINDEL.

2002 Chevrolet S-10

mikie81

February, 27, 2014 AT 7:25 AM

Im having a problem with the nut on the end of spindle trying to back off. I tightened it up a few days ago and it was fine for a day or two now its loose again. I can grab the wheel and pull it back and forth without raising it on a jack and I can always tell when it's getting loose cause I can hear a thumping noise when im driving it. I was wondering if it should be torqued or is it a hub problem, or is the spindle wharped or bent causing the nut to back off the spindle? If there is a torque spec for this nut what is the how much should I torque it cause normally the axel nut just has to be hand tight.

hmac300

February, 27, 2014 AT 9:40 AM

If this I s2wd and talking about nut pictured your wheel bearings are probably shot.

mikie81

February, 27, 2014 AT 1:17 PM

Thanks for the response ill check out the bearings again asap. They seamed fine when I checked them last weekend while doing a brake job but ill just replace them and hope it helps, thanks

hmac300

February, 27, 2014 AT 4:11 PM

By the way, proper setting for tha tnut is 50ftlbs of torque on newly replacked bearings then back off to first hole you can put cotter pin in. Or didn't you put he cotter pin in it?

mikie81

February, 27, 2014 AT 4:19 PM

I put the cotter pin back in but I don't think I torqued it to 50. But thanks for the torque spec and when I replace the bearings tomorrow ill torque it down and see if that helps.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250