1996 Chevy S-10 removing steering wheel

JOJO96
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
Steering problem
1996 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

hi im trying to remove the steering wheel and cant figure it out I removed 2 screws in the back of it but I just released the back cover of the steering wheel, it has air bags so im not sure wut to do
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 6:54 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello

Working around airbags is never a good idea if you do not have the experience. However I will post the procedures to let you decide if you think you can do this repair successfully and safely. Replacement procedures are as follows.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint System (SIR).
Position the steering wheel so that it is in the horizontal position and the front wheel are straight.
Remove the air bag system inflator module as follows:
Make sure the air bag system is disabled and the negative battery disconnected.
Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees, this will enable you to gain access to the rear shroud holes-to-inflator module.
Insert a prytool and push the leaf spring to release the pin.
Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees to access the remaining shroud holes, then repeat the procedure to release the pin using the prytool.
Tilt the inflator module rearward from the top to access the module electrical wiring, then disengage the wiring from the module and the steering wheel.
Unplug the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and retainer from the module.

Remove the steering wheel retaining nut and the horn plunger contact.

Since the steering column is designed to collapse upon impact, NEVER hammer on it!

Matchmark the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft. Some models may already be equipped with one or more alignment marks. If not, make your own using a permanent marker.
Using a suitable steering wheel puller, such as No. J-1859-03 or equivalent, carefully draw the wheel from the steering column.

To install:

Align the matchmarks and carefully fit the wheel onto the steering shaft.
Install the retaining nut and tighten to 30 ft. Lbs. (40 Nm).
Install the inflator module as follows:
Attach the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and retainer to the module.
Attach the inflator module wiring to the steering wheel and to the module.
Install the inflator module by pressing it into the steering wheel enough to engage and latch all four notched pins in the leaf spring. Make sure the wires are not pinched.

Connect the negative battery cable.
Enable the air bag system.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 7:16 PM