CHEVY BRAKES ARE EXTREMELY HARD TO PUSH

1996 Chevrolet S-10

osujams_11

October, 27, 2009 AT 10:46 AM

Brakes problem
1996 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

My 1996 S-10 brakes are extremely hard to push. When I try to stop, the brakes are very stiff and my truck will stop eventually, but only several seconds later. I pulled the hose out of the brake booster and checked for suction, and it was okay. After replacing the hose properly, I noticed a hissing sound from under the hood. I don't even know where to begin checking, or what to check for. I have not messed with any of the brake components, brakes, rotors, etc, but could it be that also. I tried driving in reverse and slamming the brakes, but that had no effect. What, where, and how should I check?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 12, 2009 AT 10:54 AM

It sounds like the brake booster is bad. You need a vacuum tool to see if it holds vacuum. That is where the power assist comes from. If not working, you have manual brakes and that is why it is so hard to push.

Let me know what you find.

osujams_11

November, 12, 2009 AT 11:11 AM

I checked that and it was the brake booster. It was leaking where the master cylinder meets the booster. I replaced the booster, and the brakes work like new, Thanks!

Jacobandnickolas

November, 12, 2009 AT 11:26 AM

That is what I figured. Regardless, I'm glad it's fixed. Let us know if you have questions in the future, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement