1992 Chevy S-10 Possible bad fuel pump?

• 2 POSTS
  • 1992 CHEVROLET S-10

1992 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

My 92 Chevy S10, V6, 4.3 with 156000 miles has been giving me problems lately. When I go to give it gas it frequently struggles to "pick up" and go, and feels like it is about to stall out on me. It has actually stalled out on me twice, but started right back up. I had originally thought it was a fuel filter issue, but after replacing the old one, the problem is still there. I think my next replacement may be the fuel pump. Any ideas?

Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 7:56 PM

Before replacing the fuel pump have fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure checked.

Also when was your last tune up?

Also if engine light is on need to pull codes....

To extract a trouble from the computer for diagnostic purposes, the Assembly Line Communication Link (ALDL) connector is used.

Ground terminals A and B with the ignition "ON" and engine not running. The system will enter the diagnostic mode. In this mode, the computer will display a 12, three consecutive times, by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" or light. A 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession.

After 12 is displayed, any stored trouble s will be displayed by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" light. All s are displayed 3 times each then a 12 will repeat. In the diagnostic mode, the computer will also energize all computer controlled relays and solenoids.

ALDL Connector (Located Underdash)

Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 8:08 PM