CHEVY TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEMS

1988 Chevrolet S-10

just.ice

February, 1, 2008 AT 6:57 PM

1988 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 191850 miles

Hi, I'm Brian. I recently purchased an '88 4x4 s-10 with the 4.3 v-6 and the automatic tranny is experiencing a shifting problem. It starts up no problem and it seems to idle ok, but while driving, especially under heavy acceleration, it seems to rev real high before shifting, and sometimes it doesn't shift at all. When it shifts, there's no kick or anything which indicates to me the transmission is good. I have the Chilton's manual which talks about a " Transmission Converter Clutch(TCC) System", which is controlled by the Engine Control Module(ECM) via a solenoid which is mounted on the outdrive housing of the tranny. This TCC checks engine speed and then allows the torque converter to couple the engine to the tranny. So I'm hoping that you could suggest to me if you think what I've described sounds like it is this solenoid that needs replacing, and if so, how difficult is it to get to this solenoid, or if maybe the torque converter itself might be the culprit. Or if maybe it's something else altogether. I greatly appreciate your assistance with this, and by the way, this website is AWESOME. Thanks again for any help you can give.

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

mastertechtim

February, 1, 2008 AT 7:01 PM

No its got nothing to do with the torque converter clutch solenoid. Try replacing the transmission shifter modulator. Its on the pass side of transmission with a vacuum hose going to it and make sure your transmission fluid is full. Hope this helps

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage